Headlamp Bulb Replacement
[color=#0My offside headlamp bulb seems to have expired,grateful of any tips on replacing this please guys,there isn't much clearance behind the lamp itself,looks like removing the whole unit is the way to go or is it not that simple?000FF][/color]
Re: Headlamp Bulb Replacement
First check the earthing point near the headlight, a common failure point..
Andy
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
Re: Headlamp Bulb Replacement
snaefell,
It's a bit fiddly but definitely possible to change X350 headlight bulbs with the units still in situ. I did it a number of times on my own car. The drivers side is a little easier to access than the nearside. It's also recommended to angle a mirror such that you first understand the position of the bulb retaining clip as you'll be working by feel.
Start with the drivers side. Just be careful with that retaining clip. You don't want it to fall off as it can be fiddly to refit it! Don't ask me how I know that!
Good luck
Paul
It's a bit fiddly but definitely possible to change X350 headlight bulbs with the units still in situ. I did it a number of times on my own car. The drivers side is a little easier to access than the nearside. It's also recommended to angle a mirror such that you first understand the position of the bulb retaining clip as you'll be working by feel.
Start with the drivers side. Just be careful with that retaining clip. You don't want it to fall off as it can be fiddly to refit it! Don't ask me how I know that!
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Headlamp Bulb Replacement
Thanks for the replies guys,checking the farthing points makes a lot of sense as the lamp was flickering for a while before going off completely.
Re: Headlamp Bulb Replacement
It's much easier than you think!
The trick is that the panel closing the back of the headlamp unit is removable, without the use of force. (This is non-HID, of course. Mine's a 2008 model, but I don't think that's important.)
It's held in by the wire clip at the top, obviously, and a plastic tang that hooks behind a similar but fixed wire at the bottom. With a bit of twiddling the top towards the wing side of the car, you can extract it. Then it's easy to insert the new bulb, though for some reason every time I do this I get the bulb's orientation wrong - so take care to note which way the prong on the bulb's metal base points when you take it out.
Reinserting the tang behind the fixed wire takes more twiddling, but trust me it's achievable without the use of excess force. You know you have it right when the gasket in the cover lines up properly with the rest of the headlamp unit. Then the retaining clip goes into place relatively easily (though it does need a bit of force, in my experience.
The trick is that the panel closing the back of the headlamp unit is removable, without the use of force. (This is non-HID, of course. Mine's a 2008 model, but I don't think that's important.)
It's held in by the wire clip at the top, obviously, and a plastic tang that hooks behind a similar but fixed wire at the bottom. With a bit of twiddling the top towards the wing side of the car, you can extract it. Then it's easy to insert the new bulb, though for some reason every time I do this I get the bulb's orientation wrong - so take care to note which way the prong on the bulb's metal base points when you take it out.
Reinserting the tang behind the fixed wire takes more twiddling, but trust me it's achievable without the use of excess force. You know you have it right when the gasket in the cover lines up properly with the rest of the headlamp unit. Then the retaining clip goes into place relatively easily (though it does need a bit of force, in my experience.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: Headlamp Bulb Replacement
Thanks for that Paul!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
