Wanted. A pair of Clam Shell Mirrors complete with all fittings (gaskets, escutcheon plates, screws, etc) in excellent (or as near excellent) condition as possible to fit a 1975 Series 2 XJ12 (fits at top of door and not 1/4-way down the door skin).
I am struggling, in particular, with the gaskets because I have yet to find any parts supplier that has correctly manufactured replacement gaskets - all I have seen have been manufactured upside down and will not fit (they are not symmetrical), hence, looking for excellent second-hand.
Alternatively, if somebody has a pair of these as the Gasket, Mirror Head and Mirror Stalk/Arm in adequate but undamaged condition for not much money that I could use as a model to rebuild and re chrome, then I would also be interested to hear from you. Thanks.
Mr Souter
Westbury, Wilts
07941 076140
Wanted: XJ6-12 Series 2 Clam Shell Mirrors
Moderator:LJR
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Wanted: XJ6-12 Series 2 Clam Shell Mirrors
You are quite right about the difficulties of obtaining the correct parts. I spent part of yesterday afternoon dismantling a brand new clamshell mirror in an attempt to alter it to a more appropriate series 2 XJ specification. I can only presume that modern replacement mirrors are produced to suit the door curves of the Series 3 E-Type and sales of them for XJs are simply a bonus for the sellers. The good news is that it's easier to dismantle the modern versions than the originals because the cables are no longer machined clamped in the operating mechanisms. Mike.
Ps You might find the two pics below of use. They show the new (thicker) plastic washer currently supplied alongside the original Jaguar supplied item. The two pics are of each side of the washers to demonstrate the different thicknesses side to side.
Ps You might find the two pics below of use. They show the new (thicker) plastic washer currently supplied alongside the original Jaguar supplied item. The two pics are of each side of the washers to demonstrate the different thicknesses side to side.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest