New rear discs and pads

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

User avatar
DougX

Member
Posts:422
Joined:Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location:Chelmsford
New rear discs and pads

Postby DougX » Sun May 17, 2020 10:01 am

I am having my rear discs and pads changed shortly but didn't realise the handbrake shoes were within the discs until I saw the 'You Tube' video "At The Garage"!
Should I be thinking of changing the shoes at the same time? Does it matter as much as changing the pads when installing new discs? Just to add, the car has just had an MOT at a franchise dealer on Friday and passed. The brakes on the rear, as far as I know are original (2005 MY - only 66k miles). Also, are there any difference between the shoes on any model of the XK8 as I have Bermbo brakes fitted all round? I would appreciate your comments on this matter.

User avatar
Andy P

Member
Posts:960
Joined:Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 am
Location:Plymouth,Devon,U.K. J.E.C.Member

Re: New rear discs and pads

Postby Andy P » Mon May 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi Doug.
Congratulations on the MOT pass.
My understanding as far as I know is that the XK8 came with the standard brake set-up unless the Brembo set-up was requested as an optional extra when the car was first purchased.
Some people upgrade to the Brembo's for better braking especially after doing performance modifications on the engine.
The XKR model came with the Brembo's fitted as standard.
I'm sure more knowledgeable people regarding the XK8 will correct me If I'm wrong. :)
The parking brake would of been tested during the MOT so must be performing ok but you can check for wear and condition when you take the rear disc's off.
Hope that helps a bit.
Take care.
Andy 8)
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia

User avatar
DougX

Member
Posts:422
Joined:Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location:Chelmsford

Re: New rear discs and pads

Postby DougX » Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 am

Thanks Andy. Was able to see the shoes during the MOT and they had little wear, so I was advised there was no reason to change them.

Astromorg

Member
Posts:512
Joined:Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:52 pm
Location:Portsmouth/Southampton

Re: New rear discs and pads

Postby Astromorg » Tue May 26, 2020 6:24 pm

Interesting that! I thought MoT testers were not allowed to remove any parts to get access to anything during the test, but it sounds as though at least one rear wheel must have been off. Any particular reason?
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport

User avatar
DougX

Member
Posts:422
Joined:Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location:Chelmsford

Re: New rear discs and pads

Postby DougX » Tue May 26, 2020 6:39 pm

Fortunately, I asked the dealer to take off the discs before MOT to check whether they would require changing. I have a good relationship with the dealer. The car has spent the last 7 years being serviced and repaired by them. I just took it in today for a air filter and petrol filter change that they were not able to undertake for the major service, as parts were not delivered on time. They were so impressed with the condition and look of the car they asked if it had been professionally ‘detailed’. I said it hadn’t but due to being furlough I had plenty of time on my hands to clean, polish and wax the whole car, inside and out!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests