private message ability

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

marekh
Posts:7
Joined:Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:05 pm
private message ability

Postby marekh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:25 pm

Dear Forum Administrator,
I have been a jec member for in excess of 10 years. I have recently assigned myself a username to access this forum and would like to contact another fellow member via private message. Unfortunately I can't because I am deemed to be a new member and must ask the administrator to assign me this privilege. I cannot contact an administrator because I am not allowed to send a private message. The FAQs suggest that I'll have this privilege if I have posted enough messages. You will be likely be shortly contacted via further serial open invitation until this fantastic oversight in the forum software is fixed. It very much resembles the classic Microsoft "Keyboard error - press F1 to continue......"
kind regards
Marek

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: private message ability

Postby ptjs1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Marek,

I am sure that you can appreciate why the club needs to control the Forum and to protect members from unwanted spam etc. Sadly this had previously happened when spammers had chosen to register on the Forum and then immediately send unsolicited mail and messages to members. Hence the protective measures that have been put in place.

In order to avoid you making unnecessary posts, I have asked David Randall, the XJS Model Co-ordinator to verify your membership record and thence facilitate your ability to use the full member facilities of the forum.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: private message ability

Postby davidr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Marek - welcome to the Forum. I'm always pleased when long term members join in here as it brings a new dimension to membership of the JEC. It gives the opportunity to both share and gain knowledge which I hope you will enjoy.
We have had some issues with spam and inappropriate posts from machine generated new users so we put in a policy a while ago to protect members from this nuisance. We approve the first 2 posts of a new user before it hits the board so we can filter out the unwanted nonsense. I'm sorry that our system doesn't recognise that you are a long standing JEC member. I'm afraid it just sees you as a new forum member. I'm not sure we are able to change that. Sorry again.
If you reply to this message I will approve your second post and then you're free to post as you please! I think this should open up the PM functions to you but come back to me if it doesn't.
I understand your frustration at not being able to use this straight away but I hope you understand the need to protect our forums from malicious "contributors".
If I can be of help then please get in touch. My contact details are in the front of the magazine.
Best wishes
David Randall
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

marekh
Posts:7
Joined:Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Re: private message ability

Postby marekh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Thank you David and Paul,
Perhaps the new member registration process ought to warn people of the catch22 situation they are going into.
Feel free to delete this thread as it'll serve no useful purpose going forwards.
kind regards
Marek

marekh
Posts:7
Joined:Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Re: private message ability

Postby marekh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Third post... let's see whether ordinary full membership privilege results....

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: private message ability

Postby davidr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Hi Marek - I have approved your posts and they now appear in the forum

marekh
Posts:7
Joined:Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Re: private message ability

Postby marekh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:45 pm

OK - for the benefit of new members, you have to post three times and have your posts approved by an admin before the software allows you to post and compose private messages.

EDIT:- the big irony is that it is probably one of the admins that I want to pm anyway...

kind regards
Marek


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest