Hello, my car has recently started to have a clunky change between 2nd and 3rd gears and is whining a little. I noticed some fluid under the car as well recently, though not much. I'm not sure whether this is related. I have seen nothing since.
Do you think having a transmission fluid service with new filter etc will solve it, or does it sound like it might be something more serious?
Thanks
Tim.
Clunky gear change and whining noise
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Tim,
If it's more than 30k since your last transmission service, then I would definitely go down that route first. Also see if you can get a proper flush done which will replace much more of the fluid contained within the torque converter, oil cooler and pipes. Also get the adaptations reset after the fluid change. Then see how the car performs.
Good luck
Paul
If it's more than 30k since your last transmission service, then I would definitely go down that route first. Also see if you can get a proper flush done which will replace much more of the fluid contained within the torque converter, oil cooler and pipes. Also get the adaptations reset after the fluid change. Then see how the car performs.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
I fully agree with Paul.
Apply "diagnose, understand and fix" to the problem. All should come well.
Mike
Apply "diagnose, understand and fix" to the problem. All should come well.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Thank you both very much. I have also been told that it might be a a sleeve gasket that perishes - does that sound right?
One final thing, am I ok to keep driving or should I wait until it's been to the mechanic?
Kind regards,
Tim.
One final thing, am I ok to keep driving or should I wait until it's been to the mechanic?
Kind regards,
Tim.
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Tim,
(and also in response to your PM), It's naturally your personal choice, but if the clonk isn't too bad and you've got it booked in, I'd personally be tempted to keep driving it carefully. One thing you might try to minimise the gearchange impact is to use the J-gate and change manually from 2-3. The other thing you could try is to use Sport mode in order to hold 2nd gear until higher up the rev range. That might make the 2-3 change better (or worse!). In my (limited!) experience, you're more likely to get a clunk if you suddenly drop the revs a little just as it changes up. So a more accelerative mode can often give you an easier change.
Have a play and see if you can improve things based on different driving styles.
Good luck
Paul
(and also in response to your PM), It's naturally your personal choice, but if the clonk isn't too bad and you've got it booked in, I'd personally be tempted to keep driving it carefully. One thing you might try to minimise the gearchange impact is to use the J-gate and change manually from 2-3. The other thing you could try is to use Sport mode in order to hold 2nd gear until higher up the rev range. That might make the 2-3 change better (or worse!). In my (limited!) experience, you're more likely to get a clunk if you suddenly drop the revs a little just as it changes up. So a more accelerative mode can often give you an easier change.
Have a play and see if you can improve things based on different driving styles.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Thanks Paul, much appreciated.
Regards
Tim.
Regards
Tim.
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Ray Brown at Surrey Jag Centre (recently relocated to Redhill in Surrey) is an independent Jaguar repairer. Paul and I both use his services. Highly recommended and Ray is reasonable on his pricing.
All the best with the issue. Let us know how it all pans out.
Mike
All the best with the issue. Let us know how it all pans out.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Thanks both, it's at the garage today and I have passed the mechanic the helpful advice above. I have been driving it carefully on short journeys, but recently the whining has become worse and on two occasions 'Gearbox Fault' came onto the dashboard. When I stopped the engine and re-started it went, but I think it must be all linked.
I will let you know when I hear back from the garage later.
Cheers,
Tim.
I will let you know when I hear back from the garage later.
Cheers,
Tim.
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Hi gents, it's back from the garage. I'm really pleased I had this done as it's running perfectly. Sweet and smooth with the whining gone (though there is a small whining noise from the power steering which I will monitor). The clunking between 2nd and 3rd has vanished. The mechanic said that the oil level was very low. It's possible that the transmission has never been serviced, as the car came with a comprehensive service history and I can't find any record of this.
This is a high mileage car, (200k miles) but in great condition and I aim to keep it on the road for as long as possible, so I am prepared to pay to keep it maintained in tip top condition.
I would appreciate your thoughts on the bill. This is my local garage in Derbyshire and they are very good mechanics and I do trust them. It's as follows:
2 hrs labour £90
1 Sump pan £152.83
2 ATF fluid @ £34.95 each = £69.9
So the bill was £312.73 plus VAT
The sump pan was an OEM part from Jaguar Landrover.
Thanks very much,
Tim
This is a high mileage car, (200k miles) but in great condition and I aim to keep it on the road for as long as possible, so I am prepared to pay to keep it maintained in tip top condition.
I would appreciate your thoughts on the bill. This is my local garage in Derbyshire and they are very good mechanics and I do trust them. It's as follows:
2 hrs labour £90
1 Sump pan £152.83
2 ATF fluid @ £34.95 each = £69.9
So the bill was £312.73 plus VAT
The sump pan was an OEM part from Jaguar Landrover.
Thanks very much,
Tim
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Tim,
Very pleased that you've got it sorted and it's running well. The bill doesn't look too bad. Labour rate is cheap compared to Main Dealer rates. You're always going to pay a premium if the garage sources parts rather than yourself, although that fluid price seems ok.
Do you know what fluid they put in? I'm guessing they know the importance of the correct fluid spec for these boxes. I'm assuming those are 4l containers? If so, did they give you the spare fluid? Unless they were also flushing the system via the oil cooler hose, they won't have used 8 litres.
So, good news that it's done. There is an additive that you can put in the PAS fluid to cure noise. Not too expensive from your dealer. Assuming your level is correct, you siphon out 100ml (I think) and replace with the additive while bleeding the system by turning full lock to lock.
Cheers
Paul
Very pleased that you've got it sorted and it's running well. The bill doesn't look too bad. Labour rate is cheap compared to Main Dealer rates. You're always going to pay a premium if the garage sources parts rather than yourself, although that fluid price seems ok.
Do you know what fluid they put in? I'm guessing they know the importance of the correct fluid spec for these boxes. I'm assuming those are 4l containers? If so, did they give you the spare fluid? Unless they were also flushing the system via the oil cooler hose, they won't have used 8 litres.
So, good news that it's done. There is an additive that you can put in the PAS fluid to cure noise. Not too expensive from your dealer. Assuming your level is correct, you siphon out 100ml (I think) and replace with the additive while bleeding the system by turning full lock to lock.
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Thanks Paul, I believe they did flush the system via the oil cooler hose, as I wrote down your message from the earlier mail above and gave it to the mechanic.
Cheers for the info about the steering gearbox. It's due for MOT and annual service mid November so I will pass this information to the mechanic.
Kind regards,
Tim.
Cheers for the info about the steering gearbox. It's due for MOT and annual service mid November so I will pass this information to the mechanic.
Kind regards,
Tim.
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Hi Paul, you mentioned an additive to put in the PAS to cure the whining noise. Do you know what it is called?
Thanks,
Tim
Thanks,
Tim
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Hi Tim,
It's sold as a 50ml bottle, part number C2S48887
Cheers
Paul
It's sold as a 50ml bottle, part number C2S48887
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Hello again Paul, sorry to trouble you about this again, but do you know if there is a substitute? I have contacted my local Jag dealership in Derby, as the local ones to me don't stock it, and have been told there is a stock out at Jag due to switching suppliers. My car is going to the garage on Monday for its MOT and I was hoping to get this done at the same time.
Thanks very much,
Tim.
Thanks very much,
Tim.
Re: Clunky gear change and whining noise
Tim,
A quick google and independents such as SNG Barratt show they have it in stock. Also, plenty of people selling it (at higher cost) on ebay. If you're really desperate, there are other commercial PAS additives available at Halfords, Eurocarparts, Jayar Car parts etc.
Good luck
Paul
A quick google and independents such as SNG Barratt show they have it in stock. Also, plenty of people selling it (at higher cost) on ebay. If you're really desperate, there are other commercial PAS additives available at Halfords, Eurocarparts, Jayar Car parts etc.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

