Chrome parts
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Is it better to re chrome old pitted chrome or replace with new chrome parts? ...From a quality perspective rather than cost or time....my impression is that re chroming the old parts - assuming that the re chroming is done professionally - the end result will be better (better metals used in the past etc)
Re: Chrome parts
Hello Islander,
if it's mazak castings then if they are pitted I think that they are pretty much scrap. Pitting would need filling before any polishing and plating is done and I think that it's not a metal that could be welded satisfactorily? If it's steel or brass then yes they can be refurbished.
Alec
if it's mazak castings then if they are pitted I think that they are pretty much scrap. Pitting would need filling before any polishing and plating is done and I think that it's not a metal that could be welded satisfactorily? If it's steel or brass then yes they can be refurbished.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Chrome parts
Here's a boot lid light shroud from a Mk IX that I've had up on eBay for the past year or so at a silly price
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-Mk-VI ... 3790239302
It was put into the re-chromers in a really bad state. To be fair, they did try to take out much of the pitting that was on it, but this was the best they could do and it ended up like this. Unless you've got only one or two marks that you can pass off as "patina", it really doesn't pay to try a rescue something that's badly corroded, no matter how keen the re-chromers are. And that mazak is a horrid "metal"
Lens edge on, it doesn't look as bad. But bad it still is 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-Mk-VI ... 3790239302
It was put into the re-chromers in a really bad state. To be fair, they did try to take out much of the pitting that was on it, but this was the best they could do and it ended up like this. Unless you've got only one or two marks that you can pass off as "patina", it really doesn't pay to try a rescue something that's badly corroded, no matter how keen the re-chromers are. And that mazak is a horrid "metal"
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: Chrome parts
Thank you for your valued feedback. Looks like a lot of mazak was used for the small parts, with the real metal left for the bumpers and front grill. I will re chrome these and the rest I will replace.
Thank you again for your insights. Much appreciated.
Clive
Thank you again for your insights. Much appreciated.
Clive
Re: Chrome parts
Hi Clive, for the outside then the mazak items are the door handles, rear number plate plinth, rear light plinths, Jaguar leaper and the boot lock I think. Mazak can be rechromed if not pitted and if the rechromer can polish out the imperfections. Otherwise all other items can be rechromed. Internally there are more mazak items. Talk to a good rechromer as each one has their own view on what they can and cannot do. Also make sure that the rechroming is the full job.
Regards,
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Re: Chrome parts
Quite interesting looking up Mazac and the various types and problems, especially Zinc Pest.
Re: Chrome parts
Thanks a lot PPV for your insight. It is certainly helpful. My Mazak parts are fairly pitted, so I dare say they have to be replaced. But I will have an expert rechromer have his say first. That said, I will try and keep much of the old parts as I can for value's sake. Thank you for your interest.Hi Clive, for the outside then the mazak items are the door handles, rear number plate plinth, rear light plinths, Jaguar leaper and the boot lock I think. Mazak can be rechromed if not pitted and if the rechromer can polish out the imperfections. Otherwise all other items can be rechromed. Internally there are more mazak items. Talk to a good rechromer as each one has their own view on what they can and cannot do. Also make sure that the rechroming is the full job.
Regards,
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
