Hello to you all can anybody help me with the headlight mounting brackets as you know there are 3 per lamp 2 sides and 1 lower now it appears the lower one is different from the sides the part numbers are different but how do you tell which is which when looking at the mount.
thanks
pre facelift headlight mountings
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: pre facelift headlight mountings
Hi Keri - yes there are 2 different part numbers quoted but I have to admit that I struggle to tell them apart. I can only recall what felt like ages of battling and swearing to get the bloody things to engage properly without pushing the adjusters through. They are a nightmare. If its any consolation (which it isn't!!) the facelift ones are much easier!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: pre facelift headlight mountings
Hi,
After months of searching I recently was able to purchase some really good examples of these headlight adjusters. The only difference I can see between the 2 types is the shape of tension spring, so if anyone wants to see mine I will try and download photos.
After months of searching I recently was able to purchase some really good examples of these headlight adjusters. The only difference I can see between the 2 types is the shape of tension spring, so if anyone wants to see mine I will try and download photos.
Re: pre facelift headlight mountings
From this photo you can see the difference between the 2 headlight adjusters. You will see one component is black and one is white but I think this maybe early and late versions of material used. The other obvious difference is the. Shape of the spring. The one with the black component is the single adjuster that is fitted below the headlight the white one is one of two that fits either side of the headlight. I hope this description is clear
Re: pre facelift headlight mountings
Hi,
As the only difference is the spring, I decided to try and swap it to the other adjuster. This was an easy process so no need to by the correct type but just use the spring off your old unit (only feasible if you have an old one). It looks obvious that the main reason people replace these are not for damaged springs as they are quite robust.
Alan
As the only difference is the spring, I decided to try and swap it to the other adjuster. This was an easy process so no need to by the correct type but just use the spring off your old unit (only feasible if you have an old one). It looks obvious that the main reason people replace these are not for damaged springs as they are quite robust.
Alan
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

