Parking sensors
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
-
Darrenjoyce
- Posts:40
- Joined:Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm
Hi all the dreaded parking sensors
I have a 2005 se with front and back sensors, only had car 3 weeks, and nothing worked, no clicking, no light on head console. Lots of water in boot, so sorted that, parking aid mod full of water, replaced with like for like new . My scanner now tells me c1700 rear left corner sensor fault. C1701 rear left corner circuit fault. B1299 power supply circuit sensor short to ground , any idea anyone
I have a 2005 se with front and back sensors, only had car 3 weeks, and nothing worked, no clicking, no light on head console. Lots of water in boot, so sorted that, parking aid mod full of water, replaced with like for like new . My scanner now tells me c1700 rear left corner sensor fault. C1701 rear left corner circuit fault. B1299 power supply circuit sensor short to ground , any idea anyone
Re: Parking sensors
Firstly replace the defective sensor as indicated by the 2 codes. Clear the codes and see what comes back. Some in-depth fault finding may be required for the B1299 code.
This electrical manual will help, http://www.jagrepair.com/images/AutoRep ... 2005on.pdf
This electrical manual will help, http://www.jagrepair.com/images/AutoRep ... 2005on.pdf
2012 XKR, Black pack, Aero pack, Speed pack
Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L, 2009 X150 5L Portfolio coupe, in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.
Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L, 2009 X150 5L Portfolio coupe, in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.
-
Darrenjoyce
- Posts:40
- Joined:Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm
Re: Parking sensors
Hi There
sorry not replied, been full on with work, getting parking sensors from auto reserve tomorrow, so thanks for the information, but would you know what a b1299 code means or could mean, I've had jaguars for years, now have 3 s types but never seen a b1299 code.
Could this be because the car has stood for about a year, before I got her
regards
darren
sorry not replied, been full on with work, getting parking sensors from auto reserve tomorrow, so thanks for the information, but would you know what a b1299 code means or could mean, I've had jaguars for years, now have 3 s types but never seen a b1299 code.
Could this be because the car has stood for about a year, before I got her
regards
darren
Re: Parking sensors
Did a bit of a search for that code, 2 answers popped up, one was relating to sensor 5 on the hvac system, the other which is more relevant to your problem and similar to what your (excellent) code reader threw up...short circuit or broken supply to Parking Sensor Module, however if that were the case the fuse would have blown, so I would guess its back to what you already know Faulty Sensor or short circuit / damaged wire to Sensor.
Jaguar Codes are strange, sometimes different codes relate to the same issue.
Doug.
Jaguar Codes are strange, sometimes different codes relate to the same issue.
Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator
S Type Forum Moderator
-
Darrenjoyce
- Posts:40
- Joined:Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm
Re: Parking sensors
Hi Montana
I've replaced the sensors and cleared the codes, but that b1299 does not go, I've checked power to the module , sure it's the white with red tracer , no Juice, do you know how the loom runs from back to cabin fuse box, there must be damage to the loom, the fuse is good, the scanner I borrowed from a pal £3000 WORTH , had to give it back, so I got a Carsoft LR. V1.0
Seems ok
I've replaced the sensors and cleared the codes, but that b1299 does not go, I've checked power to the module , sure it's the white with red tracer , no Juice, do you know how the loom runs from back to cabin fuse box, there must be damage to the loom, the fuse is good, the scanner I borrowed from a pal £3000 WORTH , had to give it back, so I got a Carsoft LR. V1.0
Seems ok
Re: Parking sensors
Hi Darren, check in the manual in the link I posted earlier. It will show you where the wiring loom is situated. 
2012 XKR, Black pack, Aero pack, Speed pack
Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L, 2009 X150 5L Portfolio coupe, in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.
Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L, 2009 X150 5L Portfolio coupe, in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.
-
Darrenjoyce
- Posts:40
- Joined:Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm
Re: Parking sensors
Hi all
I've tried going through the loom, and God what a job, I am a sparky myself, but if anyone says it's the same thing , I would do something I regret, so after full day of stripping the car down, ie bumpers off , seats out, carpet out, I achieved 0% on the fault, so it's going to have to be auto sparky out, at least I've stripped the car down for them
Thank lads for your advice
Regards
Darren
I've tried going through the loom, and God what a job, I am a sparky myself, but if anyone says it's the same thing , I would do something I regret, so after full day of stripping the car down, ie bumpers off , seats out, carpet out, I achieved 0% on the fault, so it's going to have to be auto sparky out, at least I've stripped the car down for them
Thank lads for your advice
Regards
Darren
-
Darrenjoyce
- Posts:40
- Joined:Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm
Re: Parking sensors
Hi all
Well had 2 auto electricians out to car, they got no ware, so going to sort myself, they all recommended fitting a complete new after market kit to the car, but I said no and sent them on there way. If it was fitted to car by jaguar it's staying, if they can talk to a man on the moon, I'm Shaw I can fix some bloody parking sensors, any replaced all sensors front and back, replaced module in boot, now going through wiring one at a time, see you all in 3 years lol
Well had 2 auto electricians out to car, they got no ware, so going to sort myself, they all recommended fitting a complete new after market kit to the car, but I said no and sent them on there way. If it was fitted to car by jaguar it's staying, if they can talk to a man on the moon, I'm Shaw I can fix some bloody parking sensors, any replaced all sensors front and back, replaced module in boot, now going through wiring one at a time, see you all in 3 years lol
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Parking sensors
Can you hear any feint clicking from any of the sensors (IGN on REV selected obviously
)
If you've got no clicking and no continuous tone indicating a fault (when more than 10cm away from any obsticle including you) then pound to a euro you've got a supply fault, or a reverse switch link fault so module's not being told you're in REV
Like you, I came from working on professional electronic kit, so am amazed at the crap crimp connectors' lash ups that are car auto electrics
If you've got no clicking and no continuous tone indicating a fault (when more than 10cm away from any obsticle including you) then pound to a euro you've got a supply fault, or a reverse switch link fault so module's not being told you're in REV
Like you, I came from working on professional electronic kit, so am amazed at the crap crimp connectors' lash ups that are car auto electrics
Last edited by RichardSEL on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
-
Darrenjoyce
- Posts:40
- Joined:Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm
Re: Parking sensors
Hi pal
I hear no clicking on front or back sensors , but on my scanner , it can't even detect front sensors at all that's what's confusing me, it detects the back sensor, but not the front, or the sounders , I've got no light on the on off switch next to sunblind switch, again when i plug in the scanner , it tells me when i select reverse and when I take it out reserve
.Do you think it could be just a bad earth, as I've removed front bumper, headlights, the earth bolt on both drivers and passages side was green with rust, so cleaned them up, and fitted new bolts
I hear no clicking on front or back sensors , but on my scanner , it can't even detect front sensors at all that's what's confusing me, it detects the back sensor, but not the front, or the sounders , I've got no light on the on off switch next to sunblind switch, again when i plug in the scanner , it tells me when i select reverse and when I take it out reserve
.Do you think it could be just a bad earth, as I've removed front bumper, headlights, the earth bolt on both drivers and passages side was green with rust, so cleaned them up, and fitted new bolts
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Parking sensors
The earth wire to each of their spades is just crimped into each spades' neck.
If you've got green verdigris there then that also means its probably travelled up the inside of the crimps and could be giving a high resistance poor connection between crimp and wire. Whenever I find that I chop them off, use fresh crimps (Maplins have gone now
) and solder the cable in the spade's neck.
"Cleaning up" must mean to bright metal, that's both surfaces that mate. So the spade portion of each should be
cleaned up to bright metal too
Such is the "quality" of wire used for these earth connections that it's been reported in here that if there's been moisture (as evidenced by the green you've seen) that can also track up the cable. A little flexing and voila the cable's breaks, becomes open circuit, but you can't see that coz the break is covered by the insulation that flexes.
Needs a multimeter with a lead crimp on the spade end and then going back as far as you can reach along each earth wire with the meter's other lead crimp on a long pin. You pierce the insulation of each earth cable in turn to see whether its still conducting. Pain to reach but effective.
If you can clearly identify the module's connections (I've only got chart here for X308 XJ8) then finding the earth there and grounding it to body could be another route. As could finding the module's 12V positive in and taking that to positive of battery
If you've got green verdigris there then that also means its probably travelled up the inside of the crimps and could be giving a high resistance poor connection between crimp and wire. Whenever I find that I chop them off, use fresh crimps (Maplins have gone now
"Cleaning up" must mean to bright metal, that's both surfaces that mate. So the spade portion of each should be
cleaned up to bright metal too
Such is the "quality" of wire used for these earth connections that it's been reported in here that if there's been moisture (as evidenced by the green you've seen) that can also track up the cable. A little flexing and voila the cable's breaks, becomes open circuit, but you can't see that coz the break is covered by the insulation that flexes.
Needs a multimeter with a lead crimp on the spade end and then going back as far as you can reach along each earth wire with the meter's other lead crimp on a long pin. You pierce the insulation of each earth cable in turn to see whether its still conducting. Pain to reach but effective.
If you can clearly identify the module's connections (I've only got chart here for X308 XJ8) then finding the earth there and grounding it to body could be another route. As could finding the module's 12V positive in and taking that to positive of battery
Last edited by RichardSEL on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
-
Darrenjoyce
- Posts:40
- Joined:Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm
Re: Parking sensors
Hi PAL
as the bumper and head lights are still off, i will replace the crimps, and can even replace the earth cable, as far as i can, i've found the 12v feed to the module, its the red with white tracer, i have no voltage on it, ive even checked it to ground via doing a conti test, and got nothing, so i made a short leed up and put a small gage fuse inline, from battery to module per live, still got nothing, i do have the full jaguar workshop manule for the car, and have study it, see i also have a problem with heater blowing hot all the time, and yes ive replaced the water control valve, and the module, but again not getting a earth to the driver side of the valve, only the passagers side, again this to me points to earth problems, i could be wrong,
as the bumper and head lights are still off, i will replace the crimps, and can even replace the earth cable, as far as i can, i've found the 12v feed to the module, its the red with white tracer, i have no voltage on it, ive even checked it to ground via doing a conti test, and got nothing, so i made a short leed up and put a small gage fuse inline, from battery to module per live, still got nothing, i do have the full jaguar workshop manule for the car, and have study it, see i also have a problem with heater blowing hot all the time, and yes ive replaced the water control valve, and the module, but again not getting a earth to the driver side of the valve, only the passagers side, again this to me points to earth problems, i could be wrong,
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Parking sensors
Earth lead problems are a pain to cure. Neighbour's Fiat Ducato would only start in the wet = earth bond from bodywork to engine partially high resistance but when humid it worked sufficiently for starter motor to turn at the speed needed. Changed lead and voila! no more start problems
I remade the crimps at each end with solder into them.
When I had start problems during the last cold spat felt that the earth return to bodywork from battery was getting warm thru continued use of starter motor. Just a little higher than normal resistance (1 to 2Ω is all it takes to give you a coupla volts drop across it at 30A starter current) And with the cold too, just not enough volts to give enough start engine IGN volts with starter motor turning...
Cheeepo crimped leads' car electrics? Pah! They'll last the warranty period of the car and then SOLong sucker, and hello £120+ per hour dealer rip off rates +VAT.
I'll have a lie down now
When I had start problems during the last cold spat felt that the earth return to bodywork from battery was getting warm thru continued use of starter motor. Just a little higher than normal resistance (1 to 2Ω is all it takes to give you a coupla volts drop across it at 30A starter current) And with the cold too, just not enough volts to give enough start engine IGN volts with starter motor turning...
Cheeepo crimped leads' car electrics? Pah! They'll last the warranty period of the car and then SOLong sucker, and hello £120+ per hour dealer rip off rates +VAT.
I'll have a lie down now
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: Parking sensors
Hello Folks
May 17th 2018 after about six years I HAD all sensors working front and back. To be fair the front sensors always worked it was the back that didn't. Having read all the entries on the forum I embraced the comments and did the job, checking wiring and renewing all the sensors. Now July 11th 2018 I have NO sensors front or back, they suddenly beeped and stopped working, today!!!!!!!, altogether. As soon as I engage drive or reverse the thing beeps and the little red light illuminates telling me, in it's friendly little glow, I'm not working so there! I have no DTC's showing on my iSoft OBD Reader anywhere on the whole car so haven't got a clue. Car is going very well after all the Brake work and AC work and towing my caravan to Bridgnorth and back and running grandchildren about last week so a bit of a shame.
ASM Auto Recycling here we come.
Dave
May 17th 2018 after about six years I HAD all sensors working front and back. To be fair the front sensors always worked it was the back that didn't. Having read all the entries on the forum I embraced the comments and did the job, checking wiring and renewing all the sensors. Now July 11th 2018 I have NO sensors front or back, they suddenly beeped and stopped working, today!!!!!!!, altogether. As soon as I engage drive or reverse the thing beeps and the little red light illuminates telling me, in it's friendly little glow, I'm not working so there! I have no DTC's showing on my iSoft OBD Reader anywhere on the whole car so haven't got a clue. Car is going very well after all the Brake work and AC work and towing my caravan to Bridgnorth and back and running grandchildren about last week so a bit of a shame.
ASM Auto Recycling here we come.
Dave
Dave Hart
2005:-S Type V 6, 2.7D Scrapped
2009:-XF 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury
2005:-S Type V 6, 2.7D Scrapped
2009:-XF 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury
Re: Parking sensors
Hello Folks
Well it's Friday the 13th, good job I'm not a Knights Templar, but I am stupid. I've just bought a used a ECU Parking Aid module (matching numbers) to see what happens when I change it for the incumbent unit. I've checked every fuse imaginable and earth (-ve) points I can find. Great being retired I can indulge in the fantasy of a reliable Jaguar. Delayed ASM the car is going extraordinarily well, can't believe it.
Dave
Well it's Friday the 13th, good job I'm not a Knights Templar, but I am stupid. I've just bought a used a ECU Parking Aid module (matching numbers) to see what happens when I change it for the incumbent unit. I've checked every fuse imaginable and earth (-ve) points I can find. Great being retired I can indulge in the fantasy of a reliable Jaguar. Delayed ASM the car is going extraordinarily well, can't believe it.
Dave
Dave Hart
2005:-S Type V 6, 2.7D Scrapped
2009:-XF 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury
2005:-S Type V 6, 2.7D Scrapped
2009:-XF 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
