XJS prices - what's the state?
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
- DrSebWilkes
- Posts:68
- Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
- Location:Cheshire
- Contact:
As the title says really.
I can't tell - ignoring the top 10% of XJS models, I'm not entirely sure much has changed, but I don't feel it's gone down in price.
People's thoughts?
I can't tell - ignoring the top 10% of XJS models, I'm not entirely sure much has changed, but I don't feel it's gone down in price.
People's thoughts?
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look

Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
Rough ones continue to go down unless they are rare models, good ones will only go up. Any car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.
Forming an accurate insurance valuation has been difficult for some time as it's a very subjective matter.
Forming an accurate insurance valuation has been difficult for some time as it's a very subjective matter.
- DrSebWilkes
- Posts:68
- Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
- Location:Cheshire
- Contact:
Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
Oh I don't want to worry about insurance valuations quite just yet 
It's interesting you say rough ones are getting cheaper - are you sure it's not that a done-up XJS is going down as well now which pushes those down?
It's interesting you say rough ones are getting cheaper - are you sure it's not that a done-up XJS is going down as well now which pushes those down?
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look

Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
From my very limited knowledge and observations are there specific phases once a model has been out of production for 10 years or so? Just a theory…;
Phase One: optimistic pricing by private individuals and independent Classic Car dealers that don’t sell at that price (testing the water)
Phase Two: pricing stabilizes as average/poor examples are scrapped - decrease in supply of good/excellent examples
Phase Three: Good/Excellent examples start to command a premium. Rare model derivatives significantly increasing in value
Phase Four: General price increases for most model derivatives as the market starts to “appreciate” the model
Phase Five: The take-off phase: stratospheric pricing as the market piles into the model
I would say Late '80's V12 convertibles are Phase Three as are some of the better coupes. Run-out mid ninties convertibles have been Phase Four for a number of years now...
I'm not sure if I have seen any evidence of XJS prices going down.... scrap cars are a different proposition.
Phase One: optimistic pricing by private individuals and independent Classic Car dealers that don’t sell at that price (testing the water)
Phase Two: pricing stabilizes as average/poor examples are scrapped - decrease in supply of good/excellent examples
Phase Three: Good/Excellent examples start to command a premium. Rare model derivatives significantly increasing in value
Phase Four: General price increases for most model derivatives as the market starts to “appreciate” the model
Phase Five: The take-off phase: stratospheric pricing as the market piles into the model
I would say Late '80's V12 convertibles are Phase Three as are some of the better coupes. Run-out mid ninties convertibles have been Phase Four for a number of years now...
I'm not sure if I have seen any evidence of XJS prices going down.... scrap cars are a different proposition.
1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 HE 5-speed manual
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
No, prices are deffo not going down now - they've stabilised and are modestly going up.
I'd say pre-HE are the fastest appreciating ones and the most desirable, but still not going for what they're worth - that said I still like mine
I'd say pre-HE are the fastest appreciating ones and the most desirable, but still not going for what they're worth - that said I still like mine
Richard
1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal
1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal
- DrSebWilkes
- Posts:68
- Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
- Location:Cheshire
- Contact:
Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
Well then this sounds like all the more reason to get my car back on the road! 
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look

Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
Absolutely Seb - keep at it!!Well then this sounds like all the more reason to get my car back on the road!![]()
Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
By definition, a car is a motorised means of transport.
If it is stuck in your garage then it ain't worth diddly squat.
Giddy up fella, get those ponies rolling!
If it is stuck in your garage then it ain't worth diddly squat.
Giddy up fella, get those ponies rolling!
Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
Motorised means of transport?? How dare you, an XJS is a work of art, surely???By definition, a car is a motorised means of transport.
If it is stuck in your garage then it ain't worth diddly squat.
Giddy up fella, get those ponies rolling!
Richard
1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal
1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal
Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
Obviously Brexit isn't affecting XJS prices too badly.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... xjs&_sop=3
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... xjs&_sop=3
Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
But then again.....
Thinking of selling the XJR-s and thought I would dip my toe in the water so phoned a guy who buys Jags.
He said that the XJS market has stalled since the beginning of the year with lots of high priced examples sitting with dealers for a long, long time.
This always happens when I dither about selling a car
Thinking of selling the XJR-s and thought I would dip my toe in the water so phoned a guy who buys Jags.
He said that the XJS market has stalled since the beginning of the year with lots of high priced examples sitting with dealers for a long, long time.
This always happens when I dither about selling a car
Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
Guess he would say that.....
Thinking of selling the XJR-s and thought I would dip my toe in the water so phoned a guy who buys Jags.
He said that the XJS market has stalled since the beginning of the year with lots of high priced examples sitting with dealers for a long, long time.
......
1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 HE 5-speed manual
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
All very interesting, but. When I went to pay in a petrol station recently the guy behind the counter siad something along the lines of,... nice car Mister. Always liked those Capris. On the up side those old Fords do seem to sell at a far higher premium than our beloved means of transport.
On the down side I do remember my Father selling his 1968 TR5 in 1969 to buy a Ford Capri.
Happy days
Nick
On the down side I do remember my Father selling his 1968 TR5 in 1969 to buy a Ford Capri.
Happy days
Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
Re: XJS prices - what's the state?
Yes, it's surprising (to me at least) how the values of what you might call "ordinary classics" such as Capris and Escorts have forged ahead.
A petrol station comment to me last year:- "Now that's a proper car!"
Robbie
A petrol station comment to me last year:- "Now that's a proper car!"
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


