low fuel light

Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5

Darrenjoyce
Posts:40
Joined:Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm
low fuel light

Postby Darrenjoyce » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi Lads
I have an early 3.0 v6 s type, I never let the car go below a quarter, as she's old and don't wont to drag muck up.today the low fuel light came on after filling the car up, the gauge shows just over a half a tank, but within min's went into the red, then the low fuel light when off, and gauge went up again, 2 miles down the road, same again light on, fuel down, and it now stays like that, I've put a new battery on her about a month ago.

any ideas

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: low fuel light

Postby J44EAG » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:48 pm

I`d suspect perhaps a corroded ground connection possibly on the top of the tank. Access via rear seat removal. After that, perhaps a dicky fuel level sensor. Ideally, plugging the car into a diagnostic tool might reveal more.

Doug will be along here in due course. He might have another idea or two.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

Darrenjoyce
Posts:40
Joined:Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: low fuel light

Postby Darrenjoyce » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks for the info, might have a chap that can plug it in this morning.
I rescued this car from deaths door, been in a field for years at the coast rotting away. spent a lots of time and money restoring her, to its former glory, new suspension all round, brakes, floors, paintwork, its a lovely car to look at and to drive, still got a bit to go, but don't like it when she's poorly lol

User avatar
Montana5
Posts:572
Joined:Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm
Location:Glasgow

Re: low fuel light

Postby Montana5 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:49 am

Hi Darren, just as Mike has said, check for clean connections at Fuel Tank, also there may be a connector plug around there.
A few folk have found its been the Dashboard Guage, hope its not that. Is Battery up to full charge, is it old.
Go into ETM Engineers Test Mode and first thing that happens is a Needle Test Sweep, this could rule out Dasboard Guage.
One other thing I would do, as the Car has been sitting a while, is to check Fuses and Relays for corrosion, Handbook should tell you which ones.
ETM
http://www.bluejag.co.uk/S-Type%20Instr ... ostics.php

PDF at the top of this link for electrical guide (might go directly)
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/AutoRep ... 2001en.pdf

Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator

Darrenjoyce
Posts:40
Joined:Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: low fuel light

Postby Darrenjoyce » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi people
Cant thank you enough,
took the back seat out, the whole area damp, and I've found another rotten bit, so I can replace the rotten bit as well as sort the tank issue.
I have a small workshop, and I got a half right downer car, so out comes the plasma cutter again lol.

I will be a master wielder when I've done

thank you again
darren


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests