aerial motor
Moderator:LJR
- CliveRothwell

- Posts:286
- Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
- Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
- Contact:
How can I bench test the aerial motor on my 1985 xj6 please?
Re: aerial motor
Hi Clive,
I don't fully understand your question. Have you got the Aerial motor out ? The motor and Arial are operated when you switch the radio on or off. A supply goes from the radio to a two way relay in the boot in close proximity to the motor. When the radio is switched on the relay closes and puts a supply to the motor and up goes the Aerial . When the radio is switched off the relay relaxes and the second contacts within reverses the polarity and winds the aerial down.
In my case the Aerial mast was seized solid with crap which found it's way all the way down into the conduit joining the aerial mast to the motor as well as some muck actually in the motor near the clutch. I ended up taking the cover off the motor and physically turning the motor armature with my fingers. What a painful job that was ,winding the motor off the operating push pull cable which is about 3/16 nylon. Of course it is a geared motor so it was umpteen turns of the armature to one turn of the clutch
It seemed to take for ever but I could see no other way of separating the motor from the aerial mast and the connecting push pull cable.
I can see this being a long story but let us know where you are with the job and what is wrong and I'm happy to add more detail
I can tell you that I managed to free the telescopic mast and connecting flexi drive. There was nothing wrong with the motor and all works fine
That's enough for tonight, 'tis paste my bedtime
I don't fully understand your question. Have you got the Aerial motor out ? The motor and Arial are operated when you switch the radio on or off. A supply goes from the radio to a two way relay in the boot in close proximity to the motor. When the radio is switched on the relay closes and puts a supply to the motor and up goes the Aerial . When the radio is switched off the relay relaxes and the second contacts within reverses the polarity and winds the aerial down.
In my case the Aerial mast was seized solid with crap which found it's way all the way down into the conduit joining the aerial mast to the motor as well as some muck actually in the motor near the clutch. I ended up taking the cover off the motor and physically turning the motor armature with my fingers. What a painful job that was ,winding the motor off the operating push pull cable which is about 3/16 nylon. Of course it is a geared motor so it was umpteen turns of the armature to one turn of the clutch
It seemed to take for ever but I could see no other way of separating the motor from the aerial mast and the connecting push pull cable.
I can see this being a long story but let us know where you are with the job and what is wrong and I'm happy to add more detail
I can tell you that I managed to free the telescopic mast and connecting flexi drive. There was nothing wrong with the motor and all works fine
That's enough for tonight, 'tis paste my bedtime
- CliveRothwell

- Posts:286
- Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
- Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
- Contact:
Re: aerial motor
Right! Thanks Oldtimer...........
everything is still in the boot. What I actually need to know is how can I put 12v to which wires on the motor to test it. This in theory will tell me if the fault lies with the motor or the wiring.
I'm not even sure where the fuse is!
Thanks in anticipation.......
Clive
everything is still in the boot. What I actually need to know is how can I put 12v to which wires on the motor to test it. This in theory will tell me if the fault lies with the motor or the wiring.
I'm not even sure where the fuse is!
Thanks in anticipation.......
Clive
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: aerial motor
erm , turn on the stereo In the car, this will power the aerial
BB
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
- CliveRothwell

- Posts:286
- Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
- Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
- Contact:
Re: aerial motor
Ha! Yes, it would do................if there was not a problem somewhere!
Putting a separate 12v feed to blue and white raises the aerial, blue and black lowers it. So the motor is OK. That leaves just the wiring and the relay to check.......
Thanks
Putting a separate 12v feed to blue and white raises the aerial, blue and black lowers it. So the motor is OK. That leaves just the wiring and the relay to check.......
Thanks
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: aerial motor
personally i think your going about is wrong
first, check the fuse , research where it is
next, confirm, with a multimeter, power at the device, if no power then an interruption to the power is evident ,
you say there is no power, , but is it a case of the radio not sending the signal , the relay not working or the fuse blown, your back to square one
just my thoughts
BB
first, check the fuse , research where it is
next, confirm, with a multimeter, power at the device, if no power then an interruption to the power is evident ,
you say there is no power, , but is it a case of the radio not sending the signal , the relay not working or the fuse blown, your back to square one
just my thoughts
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: aerial motor
Oh Clive,
Here we go again. You are so lucky that both the motor and mast go up and down. I agree with what BB was saying.
My motor is a 73' Series2 XJ12. I have an enlarged wiring diagram which I' very familiar with which I have just been studying. I have also dug out my Series 3 manual with a wiring diagram at the back. It is interesting to see both systems are about identical. So I shall explain.
1. A supply comes off the ignition switch ( colour code WK white / pink tracer) ( both models ) and goes to the radio , the radio is protected by an inline fuse just before the radio.
2. So when you switch the ignition on and then the radio, does the radio tuning panel light up or any noises that indicate the radio is getting a 12v supply ? Q Yes / No.
3. So - Yes to above.
4. A WK wire goes from the radio to the boot. Also the Aerial Coax cable goes from the radio to the boot but I have no idea of their route to get there.
5. The next job is to find the Arial motor operating relay which on mine is in close proximity to the motor. No progress can be made until you find it ! You need to trace the wires from the motor backwards until you find the ,probably 6RA relay, maybe a small square box type modern relay.
6. When you find the relay, switch on the ignition and radio, pull off the WK wire, and check for 12V. There is no indication of a fuse between the radio and the relay on both models.
7. You have already proved that the motor works, so if you have 12v at the WK feed wire it is beginning to look like a knackered relay.
8. Ah, I've just discovered a problem. The Series 3 has an item between the relay and the motor. It is called an Aerial adjusting switch, it is item 336,grid reference C1 on the Series 3 wiring diagram.
9. I have absolutely no idea of how it works or it's function. It could possibly be a full up or full down parking device used to switch the motor off at the end of it's travel in either direction.
10. Perhaps one of our enlightened brethren may come forward and tell us
11. I think that's enough to get on with for the moment, hope that helps a little
Time for me to go and cook some dinner ! that's what I have to do these days
Here we go again. You are so lucky that both the motor and mast go up and down. I agree with what BB was saying.
My motor is a 73' Series2 XJ12. I have an enlarged wiring diagram which I' very familiar with which I have just been studying. I have also dug out my Series 3 manual with a wiring diagram at the back. It is interesting to see both systems are about identical. So I shall explain.
1. A supply comes off the ignition switch ( colour code WK white / pink tracer) ( both models ) and goes to the radio , the radio is protected by an inline fuse just before the radio.
2. So when you switch the ignition on and then the radio, does the radio tuning panel light up or any noises that indicate the radio is getting a 12v supply ? Q Yes / No.
3. So - Yes to above.
4. A WK wire goes from the radio to the boot. Also the Aerial Coax cable goes from the radio to the boot but I have no idea of their route to get there.
5. The next job is to find the Arial motor operating relay which on mine is in close proximity to the motor. No progress can be made until you find it ! You need to trace the wires from the motor backwards until you find the ,probably 6RA relay, maybe a small square box type modern relay.
6. When you find the relay, switch on the ignition and radio, pull off the WK wire, and check for 12V. There is no indication of a fuse between the radio and the relay on both models.
7. You have already proved that the motor works, so if you have 12v at the WK feed wire it is beginning to look like a knackered relay.
8. Ah, I've just discovered a problem. The Series 3 has an item between the relay and the motor. It is called an Aerial adjusting switch, it is item 336,grid reference C1 on the Series 3 wiring diagram.
9. I have absolutely no idea of how it works or it's function. It could possibly be a full up or full down parking device used to switch the motor off at the end of it's travel in either direction.
10. Perhaps one of our enlightened brethren may come forward and tell us
11. I think that's enough to get on with for the moment, hope that helps a little
Time for me to go and cook some dinner ! that's what I have to do these days
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: aerial motor
good advice Phil
what we got for tea then ? Steak ??
i went to the chip shop tonight,,,,,,,
see you next Saturday
BB
what we got for tea then ? Steak ??
i went to the chip shop tonight,,,,,,,
see you next Saturday
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: aerial motor
Thanks BB,
You what - Steak ! If it won't go in the Micro wave it don't get done
See you Saturday for breakfast - one less to cook
You what - Steak ! If it won't go in the Micro wave it don't get done
See you Saturday for breakfast - one less to cook
- CliveRothwell

- Posts:286
- Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
- Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
- Contact:
Re: aerial motor
A great reply - many thanks indeed. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow. Enjoy the steak!
- CliveRothwell

- Posts:286
- Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
- Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
- Contact:
Re: aerial motor
Sorted - it had 2 faults!
1 Dead relay. replacement sourced off Ebay.
2 No power to relay due to broken wire. It was always going to be awkward to solve!
1 Dead relay. replacement sourced off Ebay.
2 No power to relay due to broken wire. It was always going to be awkward to solve!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest