£3k to fix a sticking caliper

Moderator:LJR

User avatar
stevewarbs
Posts:38
Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm
£3k to fix a sticking caliper

Postby stevewarbs » Tue May 16, 2017 1:47 pm

OK, so a caliper recon is around £90 but I always do brakes in pairs but if I am doing the back and I have already done the master cylinder then I may as well do the front at the same time.

Recon calipers deserve new disks and pads

Whilst the IRS is out I may as well replace all the bushes, shock and springs

The exhaust will pretty much fall out so a new SS system is on the shopping list

And I really don't want to be crawling around under a car anymore so I have just purchased a four post lift which arrives tomorrow :D :D
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Postby Brakebuster » Tue May 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Ill be round Saturday morning to use it :mrgreen:


BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

User avatar
stevewarbs
Posts:38
Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Postby stevewarbs » Tue May 16, 2017 2:28 pm

Ill be round Saturday morning to use it :mrgreen:


BB
I think mine might be unmovable without an IRS by then.......
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Postby oldtimer » Tue May 16, 2017 9:24 pm

Steve,
Well done, I installed my four post lift about twenty years ago . I think I would have given up fettling old cars years ago without it.
I actually store my old XJ upstairs and the S type beneath. It's great to lower it to waist height and use the platform as a work bench.

Mine has wheel free jacks but I have been keeping my eye open for a jacking beam

Worth every penny

PaulGover

Member
Posts:824
Joined:Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location:Near Banbury, England

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Postby PaulGover » Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 am

...
I actually store my old XJ upstairs and the S type beneath. It's great to lower it to waist height and use the platform as a work bench.
...
Waist height? I presume the S type has collapsed suspension :-)
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Postby oldtimer » Thu May 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Thanks Paul, - It's the way 'e tells em

User avatar
jBlackwell

Site Admin
Posts:1055
Joined:Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 pm
Location:Cwmbran

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Postby jBlackwell » Thu May 25, 2017 1:45 pm

It seems like Shipwrights disease has caught up with you.

Simply explained on another marques forum. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1573432

It is half the reason my XJ12 is taking so long. As I took each part of the saying was "well while we are here might as well do that bit as well"
:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

James
James

2008 XF 4.2 ltr SV8.
Planet X Pro Carbon.
Planet X EC-130.

User avatar
stevewarbs
Posts:38
Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Postby stevewarbs » Thu May 25, 2017 3:46 pm

The lift is in and working so I put the lightest of my cars (Jensen Healey) on it to test under load and whilst it was up there I topped up the gearbox oil which was getting fairly desperate.

Next. I'll get the Landrover in to find out why the clutch isn't engaging properly.

Then I have some modifications to do to the roof

Then the XJ6 can go on and the IRS can come out....
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey

User avatar
stevewarbs
Posts:38
Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Postby stevewarbs » Thu May 25, 2017 3:46 pm

It seems like Shipwrights disease has caught up with you.

Simply explained on another marques forum. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1573432

It is half the reason my XJ12 is taking so long. As I took each part of the saying was "well while we are here might as well do that bit as well"
:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

James
I've looked at the symptoms and I have definately got this disease :roll:
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests