Alien engine and transmission swaps?

Moderators:iRS, Art1012

OldEnglish68

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Tue May 10, 2016 10:41 am
Alien engine and transmission swaps?

Postby OldEnglish68 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:38 am

Just wondering how many here run E-Types with non-Jaguar propulsion units...

V8 from one of the 'Big Three', perhaps?

Daydreaming today, I came up with a (not realistic!) plan to find a healthy Mercedes V12-powered saloon and transfer engine, transmission and so on into an E-Type. Then I added two turbos and big brakes.

(Then I stuck with standard brakes so I could keep the original wheels :lol: )

Has anyone here actually tried something along these lines?

Kember
Posts:27
Joined:Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:09 pm

Re: Alien engine and transmission swaps?

Postby Kember » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:58 pm

As you will know "lumping" is quite common in America, and I am aware of some cars with alien motors here, but never a Mercedes V12 (as fitted to the Zonda :D ).

I bought a "lumped" Series 1 2+2 with a Small Block Chevy and TH350 autobox with a view to reinstating the original 4.2 straight six and box. As the transmission tunnel has already been savaged, I am now planning to drop an X300 4 litre XJR6 supercharged engine and GM gearbox into it instead. (I shall be keeping the steering, suspension and original wire wheels as I want the car to handle as it should, although I'll uprate the brakes.) I'll be using the car for European touring.

In the meantime, I have been driving the car. It is fine in a straight line and can go very fast and the V8 burble is pleasant enough but it does not feel very convincing on twisty B roads, nor does it have seamless torque of the Jaguar i6, nor the smoothness of the Jaguar V12.

I've had a V12 Mercedes (S600C) and I'd imagine you'd have trouble getting it into the chassis rails of even a Series 3 without major butchery and probably massive adjustment to the front suspension.
Peter

1966 Series 1 E Type 2+2
1995 XJR6

OldEnglish68

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Tue May 10, 2016 10:41 am

Re: Alien engine and transmission swaps?

Postby OldEnglish68 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi Peter

Sorry, I didn't spot that your car had the Chevy V8 :oops:

I never knew swapping engines was called "lumping"!

Zonda set up sounds good - no need to worry about fitting between the chassis rails, it can go in the boot...

My car history has a Hot-Rod or two in it but I particularly like them when the main manufacturers build them.

(Thinking of original 500E, AMG 6.2s, E28 and E34 M5s etc. Plus, I'd really like a Hellcat but not on UK roads)

Part of the appeal of the S3 E type for me is the displacement, childish but true - probably born out of playing Top Trumps as a kid.

It sounds like you have great plans for your car and how to enjoy it - long may it continue.

All the best

OE68


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests