Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Moderator:LJR

jezzaaa
Posts:14
Joined:Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:25 am
Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Postby jezzaaa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:33 am

Hi all,

Can you please tell me what this is (inside the red circle)?
Jag 4.2 Engine pic.jpg
My engine doesn't have one. Do I need it? What's it called and what's it for?

Thanks,
J.

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Postby mike020150 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:44 pm

I think you are talking about the heat transfer pipe from the exhaust to the inlet manifold. It helps mixture and emissions control, especially when the engine is cold. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

jezzaaa
Posts:14
Joined:Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Postby jezzaaa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:50 pm

I think you are talking about the heat transfer pipe from the exhaust to the inlet manifold. It helps mixture and emissions control, especially when the engine is cold. Mike.
Hello again Mike :) Are you the only guy on this forum??! ;)

Ok that's cool...so it's something that should be there. I'll need to find one.

Thanks again.

J.

User avatar
XJ_Driver

Member
Posts:153
Joined:Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:30 pm
Location:Herefordshire

Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Postby XJ_Driver » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:05 pm

I think this was mid-seventies exhaust emissions control requirement. My '73 XJ6 Se.1 doesn't have one of these, although I remember my previous '78 Se.2 model did.
Best regards,
John.

2003 XJ8 3.5 SE
1979 XJ3.4 Se.2
2005 SAAB 9-5 Vector Sport Estate

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Postby mike020150 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:31 pm

LHD versions of series 1 XJs (emissions and non emissions versions) had the same heated inlet air arrangement using a cross over pipe. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

alec2824

Member
Posts:152
Joined:Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Postby alec2824 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:40 pm

I have a1976 4.2 litre Series 2 that has that device fitted.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest