I couldn't find any reference to V12 transmission coolers, only 6 pot ones and I couldn't find anything in the repair manual.
Anyway, both my hoses appear to be leaking so need replacing. It looks like too big a job for my local chap; is it the nightmare that it would appear to be or will they come out from underneath if we remove the front (TWR) spoiler?
I have read comments on blanking off/bypassing the cooler; is this wise and is it easy to do?
Ta
Cooler pipes
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: Cooler pipes
Any good local hydraulic hose company would be able to make up sections to replace your faulty ones including joins. The only reason the originals were in very long pieces was for ease during manufacture.
I'm not sure about access on the V12 but unless very corroded I doubt if all the pipework would need to come out.
I'm not sure about access on the V12 but unless very corroded I doubt if all the pipework would need to come out.
Re: Cooler pipes
Steve,
I think you might be getting confused between engine oil coolers and transmission oil coolers. The debates on bypassing usually relate to the 6-cylinder engine oil coolers.
The transmission cooler is just a part of the normal engine coolant radiator. There are two metal pipes coming to / from the gearbox. in the engine bay, these are joined to flow and return rubber hoses (metal connector ends) which then connect to the coolant radiator again with metal connector ends. Leaks most often come from the joint between the metal and rubber pipe connections or (less likely) the rad pipe connections, or from the rad matrix itself. You need to investigate the source of the leak before dismantling any pipes or hoses.
I would think you can replace any of the components without removing the spoiler (unlike the engine oil cooler pipes). I guess it's possible that the lower rad connection is more accessible from underneath, but I think it's easier from up top. You have a JaguarSport rather than a TWR spoiler (undertray) don't you? If you do have to remove it, it's pretty easy.
Hope that helps
Paul
I think you might be getting confused between engine oil coolers and transmission oil coolers. The debates on bypassing usually relate to the 6-cylinder engine oil coolers.
The transmission cooler is just a part of the normal engine coolant radiator. There are two metal pipes coming to / from the gearbox. in the engine bay, these are joined to flow and return rubber hoses (metal connector ends) which then connect to the coolant radiator again with metal connector ends. Leaks most often come from the joint between the metal and rubber pipe connections or (less likely) the rad pipe connections, or from the rad matrix itself. You need to investigate the source of the leak before dismantling any pipes or hoses.
I would think you can replace any of the components without removing the spoiler (unlike the engine oil cooler pipes). I guess it's possible that the lower rad connection is more accessible from underneath, but I think it's easier from up top. You have a JaguarSport rather than a TWR spoiler (undertray) don't you? If you do have to remove it, it's pretty easy.
Hope that helps
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Cooler pipes
Thanks for the advice, confusion does reign regarding all these pipes.
It's hard to tell which bit is leaking as there is a fair bit of oil splashed around.
My chap crawled underneath and reckons it is the U shaped pipes that need to come out but it isn't easy to see how.
There are a couple of companies locally who can renew the pipes, just need to know how to get them off!
It's hard to tell which bit is leaking as there is a fair bit of oil splashed around.
My chap crawled underneath and reckons it is the U shaped pipes that need to come out but it isn't easy to see how.
There are a couple of companies locally who can renew the pipes, just need to know how to get them off!
Re: Cooler pipes
Steve,
That doesn't look like transmission fluid. And the description of U-pipes + the forward location of that leak = engine oil cooler.
As you've probably read before, the problem is that removal of the pipe from the cooler invariable destroys the cooler (dissimilar metals on the joint). Make sure before you start the work that you know how to get hold of a cooler if necessary.
Good luck
Paul
PS it is possible but is a real pain to get into the space to disconnect the pipes. I'm trying to remember if you even have to remove the main rad to pull the cooler out?
That doesn't look like transmission fluid. And the description of U-pipes + the forward location of that leak = engine oil cooler.
As you've probably read before, the problem is that removal of the pipe from the cooler invariable destroys the cooler (dissimilar metals on the joint). Make sure before you start the work that you know how to get hold of a cooler if necessary.
Good luck
Paul
PS it is possible but is a real pain to get into the space to disconnect the pipes. I'm trying to remember if you even have to remove the main rad to pull the cooler out?
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
