420 Rear Wheels

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

silverfox
Posts:57
Joined:Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:32 pm
Re: 420 Rear Wheels

Postby silverfox » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:15 am

The distance between the outside of the rear wings at the centre of the axel is 1670mm give of take a knats ,
65 Stype , my earlier post stating my wings had been modified is WRONG , so ive got standard 20mm lips not returned into a U shape , my rear wheels are 6" with 205 tyres these remove easily . Russ

keithpick
Posts:12
Joined:Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: 420 Rear Wheels

Postby keithpick » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:19 pm

Russ, that's interesting. Just done a (very) rough measurement and it is closer to 1550. The height of the top of the wheel arch at the centre is 48.5cm on the right and 50cm on the left - difference could be tyre pressure. The lip on the inside of the wheel arch is about 3/4 of an inch. Something just does not add up to me because this car has been used regularly since rebuild and I just can't see someone driving a car when you cannot change a wheel if required. These wheels have been fitted since rebuild and I find it hard to accept that the shocks needed to be disconnected to accommodate this. Am I missing something really basic here? I will try and post a picture of the wheel arch later.

silverfox
Posts:57
Joined:Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: 420 Rear Wheels

Postby silverfox » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:45 pm

thats over 4" ? , r we talking about the same thing ? , i measured between 2 plumb Levels touching the body at the centre of the hub , Have u got wires K ? , if so , whats ur overall axel width ? . R

keithpick
Posts:12
Joined:Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: 420 Rear Wheels

Postby keithpick » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:07 pm

OK, Time for me to eat some humble pie.

Set the afternoon aside to do some in depth investigation & measurements. Put the rear of the car on axle stands at the jacking points to try and remove the rear wheels, make notes of where exactly it was catching the wheel arch, amount of spline left etc. Happy that is was secure on the axle stands I pulled/rotated/rocked the wheel on the spline and, yes, it came off! Ditto the other side. They went back on quite easily too. I had tried this before but obviously not hard enough. In my defence, the wire wheels on my MG come off quite easily and I had not expected this much effort would be required. I suspect the inner wheel arches are fitted a little too close in hence the (non) problem. I would not like to do this at the side of the road with only a vehicle jack but if I carry an axle stand in the boot I think I will manage should the need arise.
Thank you to all who took the time to show an interest and offer a solution. It would appear this is a largely self inflicted injury but I am a lot happier now I know I can get the wheels off when required. It also makes sense with what I know of the history of the car.

Every day is a school day!

Thanks

Keith

Martec

Member
Posts:981
Joined:Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:08 pm
Location:North Lincs

Re: 420 Rear Wheels

Postby Martec » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:22 pm

Nice hear you have got somewhere with your problem, now you need to drive it on those lovely roads you have up there.

Best wishes,

Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.

1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: 420 Rear Wheels

Postby piman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:06 pm

Hello Keith,

glad that it has worked out without any surgery. Perhaps your wheels and hubs need a clean and re grease?

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest