OK chaps..................
whao has experience of owning an XJS convertible? Would anybody agree it is wise to store a convertible OUTSIDE under a waterproof cover? I have concerns about damp and condensation that may well disuade me from a potential purchase? Who thinks it is a daft idea to put a convertible under a weatherproof cover?
Your thoughts and advice are most welcome.
Convertible storage?
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
- CliveRothwell

- Posts:286
- Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
- Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
- Contact:
Re: Convertible storage?
Clive,
I've had my convertible for about 13 years. In all that time, it's never been inside my garage as there's no room with my motorbikes in there. Would I prefer to have the car in a garage? Yes, but at present, I have no choice. When I first bought the car, I knew it would have to live on the driveway.
I sometimes have had a tailored Jaguar cover on it in the winter when it's used less frequently. But for many many months of the year, it's uncovered. As you probably know, the car is used all year.
Very recently I bought a new cover from Hamiltons (via the JEC shop) as the original Jaguar cover had lost a lot of its water repellency and had a few rips. The new cover is semi-tailored and I did have to change it until I was happy with the fit. But the new cover has reminded me how good these outdoor covers are. They are not 100% waterproof but really very good and seem to allow any moisture that does permeate to breathe out very quickly. In fact, I think the semi-tailored rather than fully tailored fit encourages a greater airflow around the car which aids the breathing and water repellency. As some health issues have precluded me from using the car as much recently, I think the cover will get used more frequently now.
I've also recently bought a few dehumidifier granule packs which I keep in the footwells and on the rear shelf.
Norman Hicks has 2 XJS convertibles which have also lived outside for the last 12 years, but Norman doesn't have covers on his.
My suggestion would be that a good breathable cover is much better on a convertible than not having one, especially in winter months. A lot of the moisture that gathers in XJS convertibles comes from repeated rain exposure entering around the windscreen surround or via the plenum chamber or through hood seal apertures etc. A cover stops all of this.
You may have seen my car a number of times both on the Forums stand at shows and events and also in the mag. I might be biased, but I think it still polishes up pretty well after all these years outdoors. Others may have a different view!
Hope that helps. Feel free to call me if you want to discuss.
Paul
I've had my convertible for about 13 years. In all that time, it's never been inside my garage as there's no room with my motorbikes in there. Would I prefer to have the car in a garage? Yes, but at present, I have no choice. When I first bought the car, I knew it would have to live on the driveway.
I sometimes have had a tailored Jaguar cover on it in the winter when it's used less frequently. But for many many months of the year, it's uncovered. As you probably know, the car is used all year.
Very recently I bought a new cover from Hamiltons (via the JEC shop) as the original Jaguar cover had lost a lot of its water repellency and had a few rips. The new cover is semi-tailored and I did have to change it until I was happy with the fit. But the new cover has reminded me how good these outdoor covers are. They are not 100% waterproof but really very good and seem to allow any moisture that does permeate to breathe out very quickly. In fact, I think the semi-tailored rather than fully tailored fit encourages a greater airflow around the car which aids the breathing and water repellency. As some health issues have precluded me from using the car as much recently, I think the cover will get used more frequently now.
I've also recently bought a few dehumidifier granule packs which I keep in the footwells and on the rear shelf.
Norman Hicks has 2 XJS convertibles which have also lived outside for the last 12 years, but Norman doesn't have covers on his.
My suggestion would be that a good breathable cover is much better on a convertible than not having one, especially in winter months. A lot of the moisture that gathers in XJS convertibles comes from repeated rain exposure entering around the windscreen surround or via the plenum chamber or through hood seal apertures etc. A cover stops all of this.
You may have seen my car a number of times both on the Forums stand at shows and events and also in the mag. I might be biased, but I think it still polishes up pretty well after all these years outdoors. Others may have a different view!
Hope that helps. Feel free to call me if you want to discuss.
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Convertible storage?
Have you considered a carport?
-
JONNJAGS59
- Posts:107
- Joined:Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:25 pm
Re: Convertible storage?
Hi all,
I would be considering similar for myself, as garage is too inaccessible as well as full, so comments so far, especially Paul's very interesting.
An external cover will be essential for me, for peace of mind primarily. My vehicle will not be the main one, so I am aware that it still has to have regular runs through the year. I was originally going to put the vehicle in storage but costs worked prohibitively, plus the inconvenience of arranging collection and return. The storage facility is 12 miles away!! So, better to recover £1200 per annum and care for the car more personally.
As I write this I still have only the main vehicle, but the leisure vehicle search is very much closer.
As mentioned, a carport is also a possibility for some, and I do have one! Hopefully, the attached photo shows the situation I have. Width measurements are just ok at 2.54 metres(8'4") at widest point. Worked out can get an XJS in the space, mirrors folded and able to get in/out, just!
Carport is pretty useless here as too far back, but will give a fair bit of protection.
I hope you are able to resolve your issue with just the car cover as Paul suggests. Seems the cars are pretty hardy!!
Cheers,
Jon
I would be considering similar for myself, as garage is too inaccessible as well as full, so comments so far, especially Paul's very interesting.
An external cover will be essential for me, for peace of mind primarily. My vehicle will not be the main one, so I am aware that it still has to have regular runs through the year. I was originally going to put the vehicle in storage but costs worked prohibitively, plus the inconvenience of arranging collection and return. The storage facility is 12 miles away!! So, better to recover £1200 per annum and care for the car more personally.
As I write this I still have only the main vehicle, but the leisure vehicle search is very much closer.
As mentioned, a carport is also a possibility for some, and I do have one! Hopefully, the attached photo shows the situation I have. Width measurements are just ok at 2.54 metres(8'4") at widest point. Worked out can get an XJS in the space, mirrors folded and able to get in/out, just!
Carport is pretty useless here as too far back, but will give a fair bit of protection.
I hope you are able to resolve your issue with just the car cover as Paul suggests. Seems the cars are pretty hardy!!
Cheers,
Jon
-
JONNJAGS59
- Posts:107
- Joined:Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:25 pm
Re: Convertible storage?
Sorry,
Also have up to 18' to play with lengthwise and there is 16' behind where I took the picture from, level with front of house,to the road. Room for a decent sized Honda Tourer!
Jon
Also have up to 18' to play with lengthwise and there is 16' behind where I took the picture from, level with front of house,to the road. Room for a decent sized Honda Tourer!
Jon
Re: Convertible storage?
Be careful of heat from your neighbours gas fire balanced flue, or scraping your car on the flue guard! 
-
JONNJAGS59
- Posts:107
- Joined:Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:25 pm
Re: Convertible storage?
We have an extension to create a much larger lounge/extra first floor bedroom and conservatory now, and whereas our flue was in the same place, is now well removed from a neighbour's drive!
I shall become a very accurate parker soon..!!
I have managed with the Honda..only a few inches difference actually. Hair-raising but will be ok in time.
We do have space at front for block-paving and that may be on the cards. Easier for the Honda to go on that, and a JAG will have plenty of space without the issues. A possibility.
Jon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests