As last Sunday was 'Classic drive-it day' I had a couple of days out. Starting with the excellent breakfast meeting at Kemble airfield where a hearty full-house was enjoyed in the fantastic company with the guys and their various cars.
Avoiding the motorways I took a scenic route to Blaenavon in South Wales, the B2426 from Abergavenny was especially memorable, very steep and winding, an 'enthusiastic' hoon up the hill certainly tested the mechanical parts of the car. Dropping down the other side into Blaenavon gave a chance for the water temperature to fall back and the oil pressure to rise to normal.
One of my hobbies is industrial and steam heritage so I had a great time visiting 'Big Pit' coal mine, Blaenavon Ironworks and the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway. The weather was on my side as well, cool but sunny, bright and dry during the days.
I left Sunday afternoon, drove down to Newport, over the new Severn Bridge and then through Somerset to Glastonbury. Whenever I am there I always climb up one side of the Tor and down the other. Very spiritual and good excercise followed by coffee and cake in the town and then off again, taking the back roads to avoid the queues and traffic of Stonehenge.
350 miles over the two days, the XJ-S performed perfectly as usual never missing a beat. It's just the sort of trip these cars were designed for, being a Grand Tourer.