Hi folks,
Just doing some inspecting and cavity waxing on my SV8. Had the rear bumper off a while ago and made some bronze inserts for the notorious mounts. Decided to do the same for the fronts, so removed the arch liners, grille and under tray, followed by the big bolts. Bumper now loose with a bit of fore and aft play but it will not pull forward off the mounting brackets - what have I missed? Is it different from the rear? No difference mentioned on the JTIS disc.
I want to remove the wings as well, so that I can treat the strengthening boxes at the top edge. All looks excellent so far, but what is the purpose of that water trapping lump of shaped sponge under the middle top edge of the offside wing?
Ian
Front bumper removal
Re: Front bumper removal
sound like the inserts/ collars in the bumper have dropped and are catching on the mountings, you will also have the air ducts to deal with and the wiring loom, so when it comes loose ease it away and onto the ground gently, unlike the rear which just pulls away
hope this helps
hope this helps
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
Re: Front bumper removal
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the reply, I felt that there was something like that holding the sleeve. Couldn't see any way of releasing the sleeves from the beam, so struggled and removed the 3 bolts from each mounting and removed the whole thing in one.
Turned it over on the bench and one mounting came straight out without effort. T'other one is being stubborn so I've come in for a glass or two of wine - I'll try again tomorrow. Must say though, all looks perfect behind there - wings off next for a drenching in Dynax S50 - I love this car! I'll fire off another load of drivel to Nigel about this stunning machine when time permits.
Ian
Thanks for the reply, I felt that there was something like that holding the sleeve. Couldn't see any way of releasing the sleeves from the beam, so struggled and removed the 3 bolts from each mounting and removed the whole thing in one.
Turned it over on the bench and one mounting came straight out without effort. T'other one is being stubborn so I've come in for a glass or two of wine - I'll try again tomorrow. Must say though, all looks perfect behind there - wings off next for a drenching in Dynax S50 - I love this car! I'll fire off another load of drivel to Nigel about this stunning machine when time permits.
Ian
Re: Front bumper removal
Now relatively sober,
Just a quick report to say I've had success with the other mount. The collar fitted underneath the beam which the large bolt fits through was tight in the beam and the adjuster was screwed quite a way up. So when the bolt had been tightened, the collar was pushed up into the recess in the mounting bracket, thus effectively trapping the whole thing. For future reference, if anyone else has the same problem, a 14mm taper tap easily grabs the inside of the collar allowing it to be twisted out from the beam - if I'd known that, I wouldn't have had to struggle to remove the mountings and would still have all of the skin on my wrists intact!!
Anyway, front wings off now and perfect order everywhere, now caked all over in Dynax S50 and pumped it into the bolt hole in the forward ends of the sills Still stunned by the condition of it all after 14 years of use,
Ian
Just a quick report to say I've had success with the other mount. The collar fitted underneath the beam which the large bolt fits through was tight in the beam and the adjuster was screwed quite a way up. So when the bolt had been tightened, the collar was pushed up into the recess in the mounting bracket, thus effectively trapping the whole thing. For future reference, if anyone else has the same problem, a 14mm taper tap easily grabs the inside of the collar allowing it to be twisted out from the beam - if I'd known that, I wouldn't have had to struggle to remove the mountings and would still have all of the skin on my wrists intact!!
Anyway, front wings off now and perfect order everywhere, now caked all over in Dynax S50 and pumped it into the bolt hole in the forward ends of the sills Still stunned by the condition of it all after 14 years of use,
Ian
Re: Front bumper removal
Ian,
Sounds good,well done! Please let us all see the pics!
Paul
Sounds good,well done! Please let us all see the pics!
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

