Just been on the ramp, X300 Executive 1996 3.2, and my rear silencers are due for change, a little burble from the top surface. I have contacted a silencer company and two silencers are on the way, deliver Monday, but they asked if I also wanted 'over axle pipes' and that has confused me.
The Jaguar drawing shows the over axle pipe to be part of the middle silencers, and I assume that to renew the 'over axle' I will need to buy the middle boxes as well. The silencer company says they are separate, so any help gratefully accepted, take care.
Over axle pipes.
Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag
Re: Over axle pipes.
The over-axle pipes originally included the intermediate silencer. That was the same for XJ40 and also x308 models.
If the silencer company says they are separate, do they also sell the intermediate silencer separately. Are you sure that they know which model jaguar you have?
Paul
If the silencer company says they are separate, do they also sell the intermediate silencer separately. Are you sure that they know which model jaguar you have?
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
-
tattonpark6
- Posts:22
- Joined:Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:24 pm
Re: Over axle pipes.
Thanks Paul. I gave them 96 X300, and he seemed up to speed. I agree with you, but I was on a garage ramp, and I don't think they were too happy with me wandering about, hence I was unable to get a full visual of the layout, and whether or not the over axle pipe had a join adjacent to the middle boxes.
I have the two rear silencers coming, and the garage said they will fit, I just pay labour, so I will hope that the 'over axle pipe' is of reasonable strength and quality, and will make a good join to the rest of the boxes.
Ron.
I have the two rear silencers coming, and the garage said they will fit, I just pay labour, so I will hope that the 'over axle pipe' is of reasonable strength and quality, and will make a good join to the rest of the boxes.
Ron.
Re: Over axle pipes.
Further to your conversation earlier, the over axle IS part of the middle silencer section.
View this link for further info.
http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/ja ... -4-0-litre
Regards,
Steve.
View this link for further info.
http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/ja ... -4-0-litre
Regards,
Steve.
2003 X350 XJR - daily driver
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB
-
tattonpark6
- Posts:22
- Joined:Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:24 pm
Re: Over axle pipes.
Got the silencers, very good quality, an absolute bargain, £47.50 each, delivered to the door, and I can only recommend the supplier, Regis Exhausts, West Midlands, B659QE. every other company were North of £90 each, plus delivery charge, I am very happy.
The system is as 'we' thought, the over axle pipe is part of the middle [intermediate] silencer, and the join for the rear box is just aft of the axle. I only have one little problem, and that is the OD of the tail pipe, which is smaller than the one removed, so I will have to work out some system to attach the chrome 'finishers', a little mod to allow a neat, secure finish.
The state of the rear boxes was dreadful, from a visual, the lower surface was perfect, and I only went on the ramp due a slight burble, but when removed the whole of the top was like paper, didn't need a screwdriver to penetrate, I just pushed a finger straight through, then a complete collapse of the top surface.
Thanks for all your help.
Ron. York City.
The system is as 'we' thought, the over axle pipe is part of the middle [intermediate] silencer, and the join for the rear box is just aft of the axle. I only have one little problem, and that is the OD of the tail pipe, which is smaller than the one removed, so I will have to work out some system to attach the chrome 'finishers', a little mod to allow a neat, secure finish.
The state of the rear boxes was dreadful, from a visual, the lower surface was perfect, and I only went on the ramp due a slight burble, but when removed the whole of the top was like paper, didn't need a screwdriver to penetrate, I just pushed a finger straight through, then a complete collapse of the top surface.
Thanks for all your help.
Ron. York City.
Re: Over axle pipes.
Glad to hear you got it sorted Ron 
2003 X350 XJR - daily driver
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB
Re: Over axle pipes.
anything like this?

am not sure what kind of cheap rubbish monkey metal they made these x300 exhausts out of, but seems a very common problem. classic Ford money saving ideas!
i think water must get trapped between the layers somehow as parts of the exhaust look perfect.
the best jag exhaust i have seen are early XJ40, believe it or not! they seem to be the better end of quality stainless steel.

am not sure what kind of cheap rubbish monkey metal they made these x300 exhausts out of, but seems a very common problem. classic Ford money saving ideas!
i think water must get trapped between the layers somehow as parts of the exhaust look perfect.
the best jag exhaust i have seen are early XJ40, believe it or not! they seem to be the better end of quality stainless steel.
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
93 3.2S-4.0S Man conv
93 4.0 Sov
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 X306 4.0 XJR
96 X300 Daimler Six LWB
97 X300 Sport 4.0 Manual
00 LR Discovery 2 TD5 ES A
03 X350 4.2 XJR
BREAKING various X300/ XJ40/ X308
92 4.0 XJR Manual
93 3.2S-4.0S Man conv
93 4.0 Sov
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 X306 4.0 XJR
96 X300 Daimler Six LWB
97 X300 Sport 4.0 Manual
00 LR Discovery 2 TD5 ES A
03 X350 4.2 XJR
BREAKING various X300/ XJ40/ X308
Re: Over axle pipes.
I`d say a bad case of moths!
Seriously though, combustion gas content and supherous acid bi-product is highly destructive. Low grade stainless will degrade to this extent in time.
Mike K
Seriously though, combustion gas content and supherous acid bi-product is highly destructive. Low grade stainless will degrade to this extent in time.
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
-
tattonpark6
- Posts:22
- Joined:Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:24 pm
Re: Over axle pipes.
Naki, that is exactly what my two rear boxes were like, just a complete failure on the top surface.
You may be right, Ford Motor Company products.
I have bought cheap, but they are very well made, and I think they will do a thousand or two miles, the car is running like a jet, beautiful.
Take care.
Ron. York City.
You may be right, Ford Motor Company products.
I have bought cheap, but they are very well made, and I think they will do a thousand or two miles, the car is running like a jet, beautiful.
Take care.
Ron. York City.
Re: Over axle pipes.
yes, they seem to go at the top section, so its not always easily visible where they are blowing, but once you know where it look, its easy to tell.Naki, that is exactly what my two rear boxes were like, just a complete failure on the top surface.
You may be right, Ford Motor Company products.
I have bought cheap, but they are very well made, and I think they will do a thousand or two miles, the car is running like a jet, beautiful.
Take care.
Ron. York City.
personally i think having a set of custom pipes made up, make sense, if you are going to keep the car. Then you know exactly what grade of SS they are made of, and most companies offer a lifetime warranty. and they look really cool polished up!
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
93 3.2S-4.0S Man conv
93 4.0 Sov
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 X306 4.0 XJR
96 X300 Daimler Six LWB
97 X300 Sport 4.0 Manual
00 LR Discovery 2 TD5 ES A
03 X350 4.2 XJR
BREAKING various X300/ XJ40/ X308
92 4.0 XJR Manual
93 3.2S-4.0S Man conv
93 4.0 Sov
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 X306 4.0 XJR
96 X300 Daimler Six LWB
97 X300 Sport 4.0 Manual
00 LR Discovery 2 TD5 ES A
03 X350 4.2 XJR
BREAKING various X300/ XJ40/ X308
-
Petethetug
- Posts:6
- Joined:Fri May 16, 2014 3:10 pm
Re: Over axle pipes.
On examination my back boxes have the same problem developing.
Tatton seems to have got a good buy there but has anyone some idea of the cost of these bits in stainless steel?
Cheers,
PTT.
Lincs.
Tatton seems to have got a good buy there but has anyone some idea of the cost of these bits in stainless steel?
Cheers,
PTT.
Lincs.
Re: Over axle pipes.
if good used cant be found, i would look into have some custom stainless steel items made up. then you know exactly what you are getting with a lifetime guarantee (will probably outlast the car!)On examination my back boxes have the same problem developing.
Tatton seems to have got a good buy there but has anyone some idea of the cost of these bits in stainless steel?
Cheers,
PTT.
Lincs.
i have had some made on my range rover here before.
http://www.longlife.co.uk/
its a franchise with nationwide outlets, so search for your nearest.
i know someone who had a cat back system made for his 94 XJ81, and he was very pleased with them
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
93 3.2S-4.0S Man conv
93 4.0 Sov
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 X306 4.0 XJR
96 X300 Daimler Six LWB
97 X300 Sport 4.0 Manual
00 LR Discovery 2 TD5 ES A
03 X350 4.2 XJR
BREAKING various X300/ XJ40/ X308
92 4.0 XJR Manual
93 3.2S-4.0S Man conv
93 4.0 Sov
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 X306 4.0 XJR
96 X300 Daimler Six LWB
97 X300 Sport 4.0 Manual
00 LR Discovery 2 TD5 ES A
03 X350 4.2 XJR
BREAKING various X300/ XJ40/ X308
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

