Hi, the replacement cables I use are obtained from boat chandlers, I know they will do the job and last. The make of cable is not something I have taken note of.
My Stype had its first wiring problem when it was only 8 years old and only done 65000 miles! Not of merchantable quality in my book.
I used to have an elderly Mk3 Ford Granada 14 years old when I sold it with 110000 miles on the clock, no wiring faults ever. Only corroded plugs and sockets but that was an easy fix.
There is a lot of cables about that have built in obsolescence, I've encountered this with Panasonic phone chargers and headphones ware the insulation has simply cracked and fallen to bits.
The motoring press Quoted that 90% of all cars built after 2000 will have major failures by the time they reach 70000 miles, this seems to be true.
I hoped Jaguar would be an exception to that, but it looks the same as the rest.
Still my other jag/ replica came from parts made in 1985 and is more reliable.
Robin.
I keep my narrow boat in the Midlands. And live on the coast in East Sussex, don't get down your end of the world.
Vernon
Dashboard Noises
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
Vernon
Nostalgia Classic 120
Modern S type jag
Nostalgia Classic 120
Modern S type jag
Re: Dashboard Noises
The only cable break that I have found...........so far was in the boot area and the insulation hadn't bent, it just snapped the cable, insulation too stiff.
When I built my MkII looms there was the choice of the old flexible cable and just appearing the new higher rated cable, very stiff. So I assume the new cable has smaller copper size compared to the old cable for the same rating, but the insulation doesn't take to bending as easily. I have by default the newer cable in a loom I bought for an after market ECU EFI system and was very careful when fitting the loom to the engine.
I suspect the problem is in the small/low rated cables where the insulation is stronger than the copper wire. I can see those interested in keeping there S types having to remake looms and I will use more flexible insulation IF it is available.
Brian
When I built my MkII looms there was the choice of the old flexible cable and just appearing the new higher rated cable, very stiff. So I assume the new cable has smaller copper size compared to the old cable for the same rating, but the insulation doesn't take to bending as easily. I have by default the newer cable in a loom I bought for an after market ECU EFI system and was very careful when fitting the loom to the engine.
I suspect the problem is in the small/low rated cables where the insulation is stronger than the copper wire. I can see those interested in keeping there S types having to remake looms and I will use more flexible insulation IF it is available.
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
