For all intents and purpose my 6.0 XJR-S is really a 5.3 with some frilly bits. So what oil should I be running? There's a wide band of grades in the book for the kind of UK temperatures we have, and it's currently done only a few miles on shell helix ultra 5w40, which isn't the right grade for this country's weather from what the manual says so I want to change it now.
Should the oil be fully synthetic I assume? I mainly ask as I keep a very big stock of 10w40 semi synthetic for my two other cars which I change regularly, and being lazy, would like to use the same, but only want to use the best for the car.
Oil Grade for a 5.3 V12?
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Last edited by XJR-S on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 XJR-S 6.0L JaguarSport Tuned V12
Re: Oil Grade for a 5.3 V12?
I take the view that the basic engine is quite old and designed decades before some of these fancier oils were thought of so I just use a semi-synthetic 20/50. A thinner grade like 10/40 just encourages the leaks!
I also change it frequently.
regards
David
I also change it frequently.
regards
David
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Oil Grade for a 5.3 V12?
Try the following link.
It doesn't specify a particular one for your model but it does suggest that you call their technical helpline; let me know what they say as I want to change mine soon!
http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/lubri ... efault.asp
It doesn't specify a particular one for your model but it does suggest that you call their technical helpline; let me know what they say as I want to change mine soon!
http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/lubri ... efault.asp
Re: Oil Grade for a 5.3 V12?
I've been using Morris's 10W 50 semi synthetic very satisfactorily in my 1991 5.3; doesn't consume much between changes, stays pretty clean for much longer than the old organic oils.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: Oil Grade for a 5.3 V12?
I always use mineral oil...20/50...as I read synthetic can cause seal leaks, I don't know about semi-synthetic..
Re: Oil Grade for a 5.3 V12?
I use 20/50 mineral oil - have done for years.
They used to say, If a Jaguar has no oil leaks it has no oil !
They used to say, If a Jaguar has no oil leaks it has no oil !
Re: Oil Grade for a 5.3 V12?
Excellent thanks all!
I've just noticed how my XJR-S Supplement oil page varies from the standard book page. "Due to the high performance capability of the 6.0 litre V12 engine, Jaguar recommended that a suitable high performance synthetic engine oil which meets the specification requirements shown below should be used at all times..."
They recommend Castrol 5w50 or 10w60, as well as the standard oil chart that you probably all have. I'm probably going to have a go with the latter! Interesting as I wouldn't have thought there was that much difference.
I've just noticed how my XJR-S Supplement oil page varies from the standard book page. "Due to the high performance capability of the 6.0 litre V12 engine, Jaguar recommended that a suitable high performance synthetic engine oil which meets the specification requirements shown below should be used at all times..."
They recommend Castrol 5w50 or 10w60, as well as the standard oil chart that you probably all have. I'm probably going to have a go with the latter! Interesting as I wouldn't have thought there was that much difference.
1992 XJR-S 6.0L JaguarSport Tuned V12
Re: Oil Grade for a 5.3 V12?
Was looking in Wilco this morning. 5l containers of semi-synth 10/40 and 15/40 for £15. Fully Synth for £20
'Own brand', but It meets all the standards, Unless someone tells me its rubbish I think its worth a punt?
'Own brand', but It meets all the standards, Unless someone tells me its rubbish I think its worth a punt?
Re: Oil Grade for a 5.3 V12?
I have run with semi-synthetic and more recently, fully synthetic (Comma X-Flow Type G Fully Synthetic 5W40). I would agree that fully synthetic encourages more leaks so make sure that you don't have too many
Some slight leakage is fine as this is my sub-frame rust prevention system 
1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 HE 5-speed manual
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

