Has anyone used any one of the proprietary fuel system cleaners to any effect. I was thinking of sticking some in my tank for a trip up to Yorkshire over Christmas. Be interested to hear of anyone's experiences.
I was watching a re-run of 5th Gear last night and Jason was extolling the virtues of this type of treatment.
Nick
Injector - system cleaners - Do they work?
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: Injector - system cleaners - Do they work?
on older vehicles that have not had a system clean they do a certain amount of cleaning as claimed
personally , i put in a high dose to the tank after any vehicle has been laid up or is new to me,
and at around a fiver for a bottle, the expense will not break the bank ,
i would combine the additive along with an Italian tuneup , and a long run to blow out the cobwebs, all legal of course ,
pays ur money , take ur choice
BB
personally , i put in a high dose to the tank after any vehicle has been laid up or is new to me,
and at around a fiver for a bottle, the expense will not break the bank ,
i would combine the additive along with an Italian tuneup , and a long run to blow out the cobwebs, all legal of course ,
pays ur money , take ur choice
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: Injector - system cleaners - Do they work?
Thanks BB. That's a yes then (with the Italian tune up)!
Thanks
Nick
Thanks
Nick
Re: Injector - system cleaners - Do they work?
My guess is that whatever active ingredient is in the bottled cleaners is already in the better makes of petrol. That said, I put a squirt in the tank every 7,500 mile service.
Probably 15 years ago I got Lucas to utrasonically clean the injectors on my 1981 XJ6. The cleaning includes a printout explaining any problems found and corrected (if I remember correctly it was a spray pattern). I'd do it on my XJS V12, but ah, it was quite expensive even then just for 6; probably need a mortgage now. And of course I'd need to replace all the hoses to the fuel rail, and that's not trivial.
Probably 15 years ago I got Lucas to utrasonically clean the injectors on my 1981 XJ6. The cleaning includes a printout explaining any problems found and corrected (if I remember correctly it was a spray pattern). I'd do it on my XJS V12, but ah, it was quite expensive even then just for 6; probably need a mortgage now. And of course I'd need to replace all the hoses to the fuel rail, and that's not trivial.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: Injector - system cleaners - Do they work?
Had some tyres put on by Black Circles yesterday(Excellent service - highly recommended), and picked up a leaflet about a treatment called 'Terraclean'-healthy living for your car- which claims to do all sorts of beneficial things to motors, (pity they don't do the same for me), Recommended by Edd China, that transformer of sows ears almost magically into silk purses. Seems to involve connecting the car up to a machine with bottles labelled 'Fuel InjectorCleaner' and 'Fuel and Post Combustion Cleaner' so it looks to be a bit more complicated than a quick squirt in the tank.
Anybody familiar with it? See more on www.facebook.com/Terraclean
Anybody familiar with it? See more on www.facebook.com/Terraclean
1994 Coupe AJ6 engine
- CliveRothwell

- Posts:286
- Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
- Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
- Contact:
Re: Injector - system cleaners - Do they work?
I always put some in if I know the car will be doing a long, high speed run - it seems to work better. You could consider new injectors. They are easy to fit on 3.6 and 4.0 litre cars.......
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests