PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Moderator:cawthrm

User avatar
raysearles

Member
Posts:397
Joined:Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 pm
PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby raysearles » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Help people...

Took my XFS for an oil change to XJK (very nice people - impressed with their set up) - and now none of my parking sensors work. Can't think it is anything they have done but will check in the morning....the rear parking camera works but I just get an occasional Parkaid not available contact your Jag dealer messge in the touchscreen... is it something silly I am missing because I still have not read the manual or am I in for a module costing the Xmas Dinner!!

Merry Christmas by the way if you read this before - and Happy New Year if you are catching it on Dave.....

Thanks..
Ray
Ray
JEC Events Chairman

2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby andypryce » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:45 pm

No idea on that one, was the car washed? sometimes water can get in the sensors and cause system to shutdown, check if each sensor is working by engaging reverse and then putting your ear to each sensor in turn, you can hear each one ticking, alternatively lay a finger gently over each sensor and you can feel it vibrating slightly.
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:45 pm

ICE ?
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby J44EAG » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:35 pm

Gremlins or Blue People at work!

A few of my experiences on the subject.

My S-type sensors stopped working six months ago and played a merry tune for a while each time I selected reverse. Then just a solid beep for a while. I fiddled with the connectors behind each sensor to try to clear any corrosion or muck from the connections, but no change on that occasion. The module in the boot was found clean and dry with no corrosion on the plug or socket, so I gave up!!

Then I changed a window winder mechanism and next time out, the reversing sensor system worked perfectly. Explain that!!

I`ve had to change a module in the past due to a leaking boot seal which caused the boot well to fill with rain water and drown the module. Worth noting that there are several different module types fitted to S-types, so the same could possibly apply to the XF. In other words if you do have to do a module change, then replace exactly with the same part number. Eurojag are the obvious guys to get in touch with to save money. A second hand part is well worth considering.

These sensors don`t like frost much. It can damage them as indeed can hard pressure washing.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
raysearles

Member
Posts:397
Joined:Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby raysearles » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:28 pm

Gents & Mike,

Thanks for your sage advice; like Mike the sensors on my S Type diesel were the bane of my existence so i am hoping that history is not about to start repeating itself.

No frost or ice in Shropshire yet so i think I can discount that. Expecting sunshine tomorrow so I am fitting the ebay purchased winter tyres and alloys (£400 for a set of run-flat Dunlop Wintermaxx's with only 1000 miles on them - result!)
and will use that as a chance to listen for clicking.

Happy New year to you all
Ray
JEC Events Chairman

2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)

User avatar
raysearles

Member
Posts:397
Joined:Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby raysearles » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:41 pm

OK, so a reputable Jaguar specialist says that TWO of my rear sensors have failed at the same time. Seems incredible to me - anyone else had that happen?

Either way I need to get the rear bumper off to replace them - does anyone have a procedure for doing this or can you refer me to a previous thread on the forum where I can find details of what I need to do.

My New Years resolution is to undertake more work myself and stop paying high labour charges so I might as well start here....

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Ray
JEC Events Chairman

2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby andypryce » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Seems pretty unlikely that 2 would fail, unless they have been damaged without you knowing, did you try listening to them ticking? If they are dead then they dont tick. As for replacing on the XF, unsure I'm afraid. I had one go on my S type, I bought a replacemnt of ebay and painted it myself, and got a friend who is a mechanic to replace it for me, removing the bumper was necessary on that, so i am guessing would be the same for the XF. Was quoted £200 plus to have the job done by a local independant jaguar garage, I bought the sensor for £30, the paint for £5 and the guy fitted it for £20. So don't rush into anything!

andy
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

User avatar
raysearles

Member
Posts:397
Joined:Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby raysearles » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Andy

Thanks for the advice; and for replying, where is everyone on the Bulletin Board when you need them?

Spurred on by Mike K's earlier response I contacted Eurojag who sold me two replacements for £20 plus VAT, good deal though I agree that I still feel something is wrong for 2 to go at once; so all I have to do know is work out how to take off the rear bumper, someone out there must have done it....

Cheers
Ray
JEC Events Chairman

2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby andypryce » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:41 pm

That's a good price Ray. To paint them, get hold of the correct paint, in a spray if possible, put them in the bottom of on old jam jar and spray it in gently, worked for me anyway....
As to removing the bumper, can't help there I'm afraid, as you say someone must have done it!

Good luck,

Andy
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

User avatar
raysearles

Member
Posts:397
Joined:Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby raysearles » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Now I am intrigued Andy, bottom of an old jam-jar - not sure I follow this process but am now keen to learn; can you explain a bit more?
Ray
JEC Events Chairman

2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby J44EAG » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Ray,

Andy is a doctor and they collect all sorts of things in jam jars. Nothing new there. My own doctor does the same when ever I go to see her. The difference is that she now gives me a gallon can and says to come back with it tomorrow before I go to the pub!

Take care spraying the sensors with paint. Only the minimum of light spray coats, letting the paint dry between coats. Do NOT allow a thick build up of paint to accumulate between the outer body of the unit and the centre sensor unit. Thick paint coats will stop the units working. Not many doctors know that.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby andypryce » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 pm

Ha ha! Mike is right, we do have a thing about jars! He is also right about painting them, just the minimum required, hence the jam jar, if you put the sensor in it and spray the paint into the jar but not on the sensor, it just settles on it and and coats it enough, rather than spraying it directly on the sensor.However, please don't take that as gospel, I am sure there are people on here who can provide much better advice on painting than me !!

Andy.
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

User avatar
raysearles

Member
Posts:397
Joined:Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby raysearles » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks both,

Now all I have to do is finish the blackcurrant jam to get a jar ready to paint them in - toast for breakfast again then!
Ray
JEC Events Chairman

2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)

bosseric
Posts:1
Joined:Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:33 am

Re: PARKING SENSORS - AGAIN

Postby bosseric » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:39 am

:D :D No idea on that one, was the car washed? sometimes water can get in the sensors and cause system to shutdown, check if each sensor is working by engaging reverse and then putting your ear to each sensor in turn, you can hear each one ticking, alternatively lay a finger gently over each sensor and you can feel it vibrating slightly. :lol: :lol:


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests