Steering column rebuilding

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

ashcloud
Posts:129
Joined:Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:48 pm
Steering column rebuilding

Postby ashcloud » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Hello
Since my MK2 steering column has some play in it and is also squeaking I decided to rebuild it. I have not removed it yet, just collecting information.

My question is which bearing is the best way to go, felt bearing or the newer plastic/elastolan bearings? Also what type lubrication is used, if any?
Any experience whith either is appreciated.
Sincerely,
Bernhard

User avatar
sweller

Member
Posts:166
Joined:Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby sweller » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:35 am

I did this with my S type a couple of months ago.

Fairly straightforward and I used the new plastic type from SNG Barrett (£18 the pair, top and bottom).

Getting them lined up is a bit of fiddle - they have two round "ears" that have to line up with two holes in the column to lock them in place.

I didn't use any lubrication but the upper one developed an ear splitting squeak after a couple of days - a quick squirt of WD40 and it was fine. Although I had to give it another squirt yesterday.

Maybe a light greasing on assembly may be in order?
Simon
Brighton
Sussex

User avatar
sweller

Member
Posts:166
Joined:Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby sweller » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:06 am

Meant to add removal/replacement of the steering column was easy and can be done by one person.

Although tightening the bolt at the top clamp of the inner steering column (in the engine bay, next to the bulkhead) is easier with an assistant as it simper to access it from under the car with helper holding the bolt head.
Simon
Brighton
Sussex

ashcloud
Posts:129
Joined:Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby ashcloud » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks for the information.
I checked from one side and I think I do have the rubber bearings in mine too, I do hate the thought to respray this every few days to prevent it from squeaking. There must be some lubricant that is a bit more longlasting than WD40.
As far as the access to the upper and lower steering connection is, You are definitely right but I will figure out a way to lift my car a bit to get underneath it safely. It has to be loosened only I think and the upper column would slide out.

One more question: after refitting the new rubber bearings was the play in the steering gone?
Thanks Bernhard

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby J44EAG » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:37 pm

This product claims to be suitable for bushes. Can be used on synthetic and natural materials.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18g-HQ-Red-Ru ... 3f199a9ecf

I`ve used a similar product on window lift rubbers that have dried out and have caused sticking and squeaking.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

ashcloud
Posts:129
Joined:Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby ashcloud » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Mike
after Red Rubber Grease no more squeak?
Bernhard

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby J44EAG » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:19 pm

I`ve used it on anti roll bar bushes that have been difficult to fit and also on window channel rubbers to ease glass which was sticking and squeaking. Personally I can see no reason for not using it on steering column rubbers.

How do others see this?

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
sweller

Member
Posts:166
Joined:Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby sweller » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:55 am

Red rubber grease - I have a large pot that I use for brake rubbers.

The steering bushes are hard plastic so I wouldn't have thought they would need greasing or would be affected by normal grease anyway (in the same way rubber is).

In my case it may be the upper one is slightly misaligned/misshapen as it was a bit of a pain to get in - because it's not quite right it could take some use for it to bed in.

If I have to spray it again I'll probably do the job properly and strip the column and grease it. It only took an hour or so to do last time.
Simon
Brighton
Sussex

stuarthardy

Member
Posts:488
Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
Location:North Shropshire

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby stuarthardy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:35 am

I think the steering column bearings are, or should be, made from polyurethane. These would benefit from being lubricated with a little silicone grease.

I fitted new ones to my 420 column a little while ago and have fitted some to my E-Type instead of the felt bearings that the early cars were fitted with. They were really creaky until they were lubricated.

I don't know what the red rubber grease is made from and therefore wouldn't use it, although it probably wouldn't do any harm since polyurethane is inherently inert and stable.

I wouldn't advise using any petroleum based lubricant.

Regards
Stuart

1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR

PPV

Member
Posts:639
Joined:Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:48 pm
Location:Nantwich

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby PPV » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:59 am

I have used silicon spray to good effect on my column bearings which appear to be made from some hard compound. It tends to be thicker and stickier than WD40. It is also good to wipe around rubber door seals etc to keep them in good condition if they are drying out.
Regards,
Paul
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S

stuarthardy

Member
Posts:488
Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
Location:North Shropshire

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby stuarthardy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:09 pm

As daft as it might sound, furniture polish is a decent lubricant for plastics. Mr Sheen is particularly effective on plastic curtain rails and similar.

Silicone spray is good but a grease will remain in place longer and be more effective. WD40 will last a couple of days at best unless the column is stripped to access the bearing surfaces instead of relying on the propellant penetrating between the column and bearing.

The most effective solution is to strip the column out and use a silicone grease on the bearing surfaces, being careful not to get it on the horn electrical bits as it is an excellent electrical insulator.

Regards
Stuart

1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR

TerryBeck

Member
Posts:39
Joined:Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:14 pm

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby TerryBeck » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:16 pm

I too experienced an ear-splitting squeak (accompanied by heavy steering) and it turned out that I'd over-tightened the clamp securing the indicator and overdrive levers. Certainly the nylon bushes shouldn't need lubrication.

ashcloud
Posts:129
Joined:Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Re: Steering column rebuilding

Postby ashcloud » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi Gentleman
So finally it is all finished. The steering column is rebuilt and "no play no squeak" just plain nothing. For the bushings I finally used LM Grease from Liqui Moly ( I guess all other LM greases are alike) and Polgrease (used for Batteries) for the Horn contacts and Copper grease (no seize grease) for the connection part to the lower steering column. It is like new ( I even sandblasted the outer column and resprayed it black). So I guess I only have to watch the signal switch/lever when tightening :-)
Thanks for all the good comments given,
Bernhard


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests