
In reply to the question why does a v12 need a damper, having given it thought I have several possibilities gleamed from my days in the trade as a bus mechanic.
Even with twelve cylinders, a piston engine is still not as smooth as a turbine engine because the power comes in pulses. There is certainly a need to smooth the pulses out else why the need for a flywheel?
These pulses are harmonic like music they have time duration and also magnitude. Based on engine speed and throttle position.
Ever driven an old diesel car, sat in traffic at the lights listening to the dash board rattle? Why does it do it? It has no power source?
It vibrates in sympathy to the engine's vibrations.
To stop it you change the frequency by changing the tickover. Or you could isolate it by packing with rubber mounts I prefer the first.
The crankshaft damper works in the same way as rubber feet on a motor it isolates the frequency stopping harmonic resonance within the engine causing other parts to vibrate in sypathy.
If anyone can enlighten me further please do so. I was always told by an old boy mechanic (oilly hair, road map hands and with half a finger missing) to always listen to what anyone has to say, then keep what's useful and disregard the rest.
My next little entry regards how I've fixed the problem. I did in the end opt for the genuine part but this is where you need to be pally with the storeman and not sit in the comfy leather seats drinking proper coffee.
I suspect your local Jaguar garage is like mine extremly pleasant but has no door saying stores or has a sign saying workshop customers keep out...for health and safety reasons whatever they might be.
You are not supposed to go into the inner sanctum because your place is on the leather sofa.
I walked into the stores after politely asking the power suited lady in reception where they were.
To cut a long story short I asked for the price and availability of a new damper. First knock back £241 plus vat....

second not available at present

However you shouldn't be put off. After looking at alternatives it turns out that the part is a superceded one. Is the earlier part available,yes

how much £85

always keep pleasant and ask for discount

10 % you get it with the club but even if you don't, then ask for the item to be placed on a stock order. It takes longer than VOR (vehicle off the road ) but the discount to the garage is usually bigger and the storeman if nice will pass a little onto you.
Everyone does things differently but if you can get a storeman who is interested in his job, likes to help and relishes a challenge you will have a great ally in the war to keep the cat purring.
Front crankshaft oil seal normally£40 plus vat. First attempt at the local bearing shop met with no success Jaguar only

I thought about it then called again. The V12 has a lot of imperial sizes in bolts etc. It was after all built in the swinging seventies where the question have you metric was answered with no...but I've met Dave

So I called again and an old boy answered the phone this time not achne Andy Boy racer with the pedal bin exhaust and the 1.1 popular badge removed in favour of the badge "if you can read this you're probably passing me."
Straight away he converted the measurement 0.5x2.125x 2.785 " to HALF AN INCH by INCH AND AN EIGTH by TWO AND SEVEN EIGTHS.
Got one on the shelf lad £2.50.
Oh as for the spacer that Jaguar would have you buy, turn the one on your car around just like new.
Hope I've saved someone else from wasting valuable petrol money. Never accept the first thing your told without a second or even third opinion. Fools and money are easily parted as my old dad says!
If it costs money theres's always a cheaper way
The Fiatson