Alternator conversion.

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

weerosie
Posts:1
Joined:Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:59 pm
Alternator conversion.

Postby weerosie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:21 pm

I'm thinking of changing the combined dynamo/power steering pump to an alternator on my 1967 S Type. I have bought a new wiring harness suitable for an alternator and have a Lucas 18ACR.
The alternator conversion appears fairly straightforward with a couple of questions.
Can I use the double groove pulley from the dynamo onto the alternator?
Will the dynamo mounting brackets suit the alternator or should I use the
brackets from a series1 XJ6.
I've been told that I will have to use an electric power steering pump but the price i've been quoted is approx £500 which seems a bit steep.
Does anyone know of a firm that sells an alternator which will drive the original steering pump or can help me with a solution. I've heard that it is possible to fit an XJ6 pump. Has anyone carried out this conversion?


User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Postby piman » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:42 am

Hello Weerosie,

I haven't done this so my reply is a bit of a generalisation.

As the alternator is much shorter, the dynamo mounting will either have to be adapted, but it will be much easier and more accurate to use the parts from a later alternator XK engined car. I would also suggest that all the pulleys be transferred from the donor car. The alternator drive pulley is much smaller in diameter so the existing drive belt would probably be too long anyway.

The other problem of the power steering would take some modifying to retain the hydraulic pump that you now have.

All in all I would suggest that, unless you have a significantly higher electrical load than standard that you retain the dynamo?

Alec


colinM

Member
Posts:9
Joined:Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:36 pm
Location:Maidstone, Kent

Postby colinM » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:40 pm

I may be wrong, but I think I was once told that the Ford Transit used to have an alternator-based power steering pump which is a suitable fit.


smiffy
Posts:157
Joined:Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Transit alternator

Postby smiffy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:08 am

There is a 'drive through' alternator for the Transit range that is used to drive a vacuum assist pump for the brake servo. The shaft would need machining to drive the PAS pump, and you would have to fabricate an adapter plate to join the two together. The XJ6/XJS pump sounds a good option - I've seen one fitted to a 3.4L Mk2.
David

Ian3.4
Posts:36
Joined:Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:17 pm

Postby Ian3.4 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi,

There is an "American" alternator/power steering pump como available but its a bit pricy. I WILL source the detail and post it soonest.

Ian.

jwment
Posts:70
Joined:Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:16 pm

Postby jwment » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:17 pm

If you compare the replies to the views total on this thread, you'll realise that there are a lot of others watching this thread.

Converting a Mk2 equiped with OES power steering to alternator charging does give quite a problem. Even if fitting a later XJS or XJ40 powered rack, you've still gotta drive the pump some how.

I'm not ready to start trying yet, but the Transit alternator sounds worth a try to me. I've asked SC Parts for a quote on their newly developed Electric soloution, but I know i'm looking at a couple of grand there.

So C'MON IAN, give us the gen on this Yankee alternator.

Johnny M

Ian3.4
Posts:36
Joined:Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:17 pm

Alternator P/S

Postby Ian3.4 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:34 pm

Guys I havnt forgotton and am still chasing the info, (the chap who told me/has this is in SA at the mo)

I will post as soon as I get the details.

Ian.

smiffy
Posts:157
Joined:Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Postby smiffy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi folks
Vicarage can supply a stand alone mechanical pump, revised mounting bracket (for dynamo or alternator) plus associated pulleys and belts, that will drive the standard PAS box, though you will have to get a new high pressure hose made up. I've just picked up a box of gubbins to do this; the cost will depend on what pulleys etc that you need, but the pump itself is £160 plus VAT. I have a double vee belt and a 2.4l engine, so need to replace all the pulleys and the crankshaft damper. I purchased these parts from Vicarage for convenience, but those with 3.4 or 3.8 engines may be able to get the necessary bits from scrap vehicles.
Best wishes, David

Ian3.4
Posts:36
Joined:Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:17 pm

Postby Ian3.4 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Strange how things work,

The guy who told me about the US unit (Alternator/power steering) called and could remeber no more than "Its a place in Dallas and I saw it in the mag." (JEC mag) So in the Feb edition I found this on page 121 mid page.

"Power Steering, generator to alternator MkII.

www.retroair.com (001 972 960 6899) Dallas Texas or Mr Jaguar.com
A 70amp alternator with power steering take off is apparantley $599 !!!!

Best,

Ian

peterkay73

Member
Posts:2
Joined:Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:55 pm

Alternator for MK2

Postby peterkay73 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi everybody,
I've just fitted the American alternator to my MK2.
It took about an hour and a half.
It works very well, very little alterations necessary except an extention to
the high pressure hose and making the pully thinner.
I'm running my old pump with rack & pinion steering.
It cost(£478 including Fedex plus Tax and duty £89) but it's cheaper than a new pump plus alternator and all the bits you'll need to fit them, it's very neat.
If you should order one from America it takes about 7 days to arrive.
If anyone needs any more info, let me know.


Martec

Member
Posts:981
Joined:Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:08 pm
Location:North Lincs

Postby Martec » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi,

I fitted an old style alternator and XJ6 pump to drive my 420 power steering system (fitted to a 61 Mk2).

A second pully was machine to fit close to the original pully.

I made up an alt. mounting on the engine mounting (very low down), this left room to mount the XJ6 pump above it.

Cost was minimal, new pully and scrapyard pump and alternator (since replaced with new + a spare alt.) the pump is still going strong. Time was the main cost to make the brackets.

The correct size cables are required as the alt. has a greater discharge, and the Ammeter needed to be changed to a 420 type (Ithink).

Brian

Martec

Member
Posts:981
Joined:Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:08 pm
Location:North Lincs

Re: Alternator conversion.

Postby Martec » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi,

I recently returned from the JEC run to Croatia, where my 1year and 10 day old ACR alternator failed (45amp). I was recovered from the motorway and fitted my spare ACR alternator and continued the holiday.

This is the 4th ACR that has failed and from Autoelectricians it seems that with everything on bar the engine I had a load of over 30 amps. An ACR 45amp will give out 40 amps continuously but not 45. With some difficulty I have modified the Alt. mounting on the engine bracket 20mm lower and fitted a later A127 type 65amp alternator.

I am told this alternator is common all over the continent but as usual will carry a spare soon.

The reason for the failure is down to the weaker diode pack of the ACR but really down to all the extras fitted.

Electric heated rear window
Overdrive solenoid
Large electric Rad. fan
ECU and 3 solenoids for the LPG system
ECU and coil pack to give adjustable ignition maps for gas and petrol
2 Metro cabin fans, one an extractor.

These are all extra to the original spec of my car and I didn't take account of the overloading. I'm told my 7 mm main feed cable is adequate, but bigger is better.

This is just a heads up on using an ACR (103?) with extra load, hopefully the fatter but higher output alternator will work OK (no more heated rear window now).

Brian


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests