Leaking door seal rubbers

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

Antz0711
Posts:10
Joined:Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:29 pm
Leaking door seal rubbers

Postby Antz0711 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:01 pm

I have a MY 2000 XK8 which is suffering from a water leak on the NS. It's not a lot, but does cause the carpet to get wet. I've replaced both door seals (L & R) and not cured the leak I've priced the body seal which is £195 + VAT! So before I go mad a spend such a lot of money, I wondered if members could assist with the following:

1. Has anyone successfully stopped a leaking door seal by replacing the body seal rubber?
2. If so, is it difficult to fit?

Kind Regards

Tony Nicholls

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi,
If you've not already tried doing it, click the search box above and type in 'door seal'. There have been quite a few entries on this subject over the years and you might be able to find something helpful among them. Mike.

Antz0711
Posts:10
Joined:Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Postby Antz0711 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the pointer.

Kind Regards

Tony

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:29 pm

Also can you actually see the leak?

Reason I ask is I had a replacement screen last year and they forgot to reconnect the rubber drain tubes back and all the water from the winscreen when the car was stationary ended up in my footwells.

Soon resolved but hard to diagnose.

Mark

Antz0711
Posts:10
Joined:Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Postby Antz0711 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:25 pm

Thanks Mike,

I can see the leak. It's coming from the door shut in the area of the mirror, where the door closes against the A post.

Regards

Tony

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:53 am

Hi Tony,
I recall that the A post seal on the coupe has a small drain hole moulded into it somewhere near where you think yours is leaking. It's designed to lead the water further down the seal before releasing it to drain away. Hence, it may be worth checking it's not blocked. Mike.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests