Postby doug424 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:23 am
Hello Wullie and Mike,
I've uploaded some photos under Transmission Oil Change, I hope they're clear enough.
The tool is home made and feel free to copy it. It is made up from a standard oil suction pump with clear tube, jubilee clips and copper pipe from B&Q, it's not hard to make. The suction pump was new so as not to be potentially contaminated with any other fluid.
The transmission fluid I used is Citroen part number C973622, called GA05B oil, it cost in July last year £13.60 +VAT for a 2 litre bottle. The bottle does not carry the LT71141 part number, but if you ask nicely for a print out of the Citroen database entry, the Esso number is quoted. It would be important to satisfy yourself that this is the correct fluid before commiting yourself to buying any.
As you can see (I hope) from the photos there was little debris on the magnets, the odometer reading at the time of change was 97,000 Km.
I know the procedure is supposed to be temperature sensitive, but I used the back of my hand on the gearbox sump to gauge the temperature within. Stage 1 fill is when cold, then start the engine and fill quickly, with the help of an assistant in the car to cycle the transmission. When the sump felt hot, put the fill plug in quickly, trying not to burn your hand on the exhaust, and switch off the engine. Come back and repeat once the sump felt cool/cold.
As a necessary word of caution, this is my procedure and it worked for me. I cannot be responsible for anyone else trying this at home.
Doug Barrass, Ashford, Kent