Hi
I have just taken delivery of an XKR Portfolio.
I ordered the car on the 5th May and took delivery on the 17th September.
The car has now done only 630 miles and here's whats gone wrong so far.
1)The car is fitted with the latest top of the range Bowers and Wilkins 500 watt music system.The car FM reception is to say the least very poor I also run a Mercedes CLS if you park both cars side by side the Merc will autotune radio Stoke (From Oldham)The Jag cant even get Radio Manchester.
2)Driving home Today the Radio retuned itself to Radio 1 and even though I turned the Radio off and the Touch screen said Audio off the radio was still playing even when I parked up and left and locked the car the radio was still playing.
3)Whilst using the sat nav last Saturday the whole system just turned itself off for no reason.
4)The keyless entry system sometimes on both front doors does not open the latch so the door only opens about 1 inch.
5)The car is being taken back to Appleyards in the Morning though.
everything seems to be working fine now.
6)The shut lines on a car this expensive also leave alot to be desired
To say I am dissapointed would be an understatement and I would love to just send the car back to Castle Bromwich.
Now Tuesday still at garage being checked, really dissapointed nobody from Jaguar can be bothered to get in touch.This is after all there flagship all singing and dancing Car.
New XK Electric Faults(Never Again)
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Hi
yes car should be ready on Thursday but am still undecided as to whether I should reject the car back to the dealer.I could then get a full refund as the car is faulty.
I am sure as they could find no faults and have just reloaded the cars software that this problem will come back to haunt me if I keep the car.
If somebody could reasure me the car would be ok I would keep it, not only is this a portfolio but I also had all the other extras fitted ie garage door opener,adaptive cruise, active lights,tyre pressure moniter.keyless entry, front park aid.
I must also say the response from Jaguar as been poor.
Will sleep on it Tonight.
yes car should be ready on Thursday but am still undecided as to whether I should reject the car back to the dealer.I could then get a full refund as the car is faulty.
I am sure as they could find no faults and have just reloaded the cars software that this problem will come back to haunt me if I keep the car.
If somebody could reasure me the car would be ok I would keep it, not only is this a portfolio but I also had all the other extras fitted ie garage door opener,adaptive cruise, active lights,tyre pressure moniter.keyless entry, front park aid.
I must also say the response from Jaguar as been poor.
Will sleep on it Tonight.
Personally if i had spent that much I'd reject it since it is under a month old and so many faults are evident...the longer you leave it the harder it becomes.
Sad that they still build Friday afternoon cars
As you've surmised there'll probably be 'no fault found'
I guess the radio strength problem has to do with them building the aerial into the rear bodywork...and since it's their first venture into this area it doesn't sound like they did it terribly well.
Mark
Sad that they still build Friday afternoon cars
As you've surmised there'll probably be 'no fault found'
I guess the radio strength problem has to do with them building the aerial into the rear bodywork...and since it's their first venture into this area it doesn't sound like they did it terribly well.
Mark
Better news Today
All software has been reloaded and car seems to be fine now.
Door latches are all ok.
Jaguar Techo going to meet up with me at Appleyards.
Hope to collect car on Friday and hope all is well.
I really wanted this model from the first pictures and I know I would struggle to buy another with this spec so here goes.
All software has been reloaded and car seems to be fine now.
Door latches are all ok.
Jaguar Techo going to meet up with me at Appleyards.
Hope to collect car on Friday and hope all is well.
I really wanted this model from the first pictures and I know I would struggle to buy another with this spec so here goes.
Better news Today
All software has been reloaded and car seems to be fine now.
Door latches are all ok.
Jaguar Techo going to meet up with me at Appleyards.
Hope to collect car on Friday and hope all is well.
I really wanted this model from the first pictures and I know I would struggle to buy another with this spec so here goes.
Reminds me of that song"Hello Mother" Stick with it John -- Had my XK since April 2006 Best drive I`ve ever had. I can only imagine how quick the XKR is. I had all the bells and whistles fitted and they have all been trouble free so far --- Low tyre pressure warning probably saved me cost of new tyre
All software has been reloaded and car seems to be fine now.
Door latches are all ok.
Jaguar Techo going to meet up with me at Appleyards.
Hope to collect car on Friday and hope all is well.
I really wanted this model from the first pictures and I know I would struggle to buy another with this spec so here goes.
Reminds me of that song"Hello Mother" Stick with it John -- Had my XK since April 2006 Best drive I`ve ever had. I can only imagine how quick the XKR is. I had all the bells and whistles fitted and they have all been trouble free so far --- Low tyre pressure warning probably saved me cost of new tyre
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
-
garagedood

- Posts:36
- Joined:Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:25 pm
- Location:North East England
Re: New XK Electric Faults(Never Again)
Just thought I would tag my twopence worth in to this old and somewhat pessimistic thread to hopefully lift the mood a bit.I bought my 2008 XK convertible last winter, with full JSH, at 3 years old so therefore "preloved" as they say. Having heard about electrical gremlins and having read this thread I was expecting that I may have had one or two ( hopefully not insurmountable) problems to deal with. I can cheerfully report that there is no record in the SH of any works needed to have been done before my ownership and I myself have not had one single problem with it (car now on 34k miles).My summer had been planned before I bought the XK and I spent some six weeks or so in the Scottish Highlands with a caravan towed by Mrs GD`s Freelander.This meant that the XK stood on the drive for the six weeks unused. Occasionally when I was away my thoughts would turn to the Jag and I would wonder how the 3 - 4 year old battery was standing up. Having returned from hols in past years to find one of the cars left behind in a non-start condition due to battery discharge I was mentally prepared to find the XK in this condition bearing in mind it is still on the original battery.You will have guessed already that it burst in to life on the first press of the start button -- FAB!. Interestingly I can put my daily driver (VW Passat Tdi Est.)in to "transport mode" (with laptop and VCDS) which shuts down various on board systems to protect the battery from discharge while the car is unused for protracted periods. I have never bothered to do this because the car is in pretty regular use.I have no idea if this can be done with the XK but would be surprised if it can`t be with the correct kit. Despite my "luck" so far I will look at hooking the Jag up to the mains somehow for the winter, just in case.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: New XK Electric Faults(Never Again)
Hi, In my experience, even different cars of the same Jaguar model can behave differently when it comes to battery drain performance. The main computerised functions remain 'live' for up to an hour after switching off and locking these cars (locking speeds the shutdown process). However, over a period of several weeks' inactivity, small differences in the residual current flows for central locking, clock etc do make big differences to the time it takes to flatten a battery.
I think you are very lucky to have managed 6 weeks. Recently, I suffered an ear bashing from a friend whose almost brand new XJ required RAC assistance to start after he had spent 6 weeks abroad.
After only a couple of weeks' inactivity my own XK begins to issue dashboard warnings if I try to programme the sat nav or use similar screen functions before starting the car. Consequently, to avoid any inconvenience, I keep the car connected to a battery conditioner whenever it's not in use for a week or two. Mike.
I think you are very lucky to have managed 6 weeks. Recently, I suffered an ear bashing from a friend whose almost brand new XJ required RAC assistance to start after he had spent 6 weeks abroad.
After only a couple of weeks' inactivity my own XK begins to issue dashboard warnings if I try to programme the sat nav or use similar screen functions before starting the car. Consequently, to avoid any inconvenience, I keep the car connected to a battery conditioner whenever it's not in use for a week or two. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
-
garagedood

- Posts:36
- Joined:Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:25 pm
- Location:North East England
Re: New XK Electric Faults(Never Again)
While trawling the net for XK stuff I found a dedicated Jaguar battery charging kit (part no. C2P24103) on Ebay, apparently they are also available for the XF and the new XJ. It was a "brand new in box" item from a Jaguar/ Aston Martin dealer so went ahead and bought it and it is now installed and working. Over the years I have collected a number of chargers and conditioners so could have cobbled something together out of the collection of bits and pieces I have in the garage for no outlay. I am pleased though that I forked out the £115 cost bearing in mind that it is a Jaguar kit and and it came with the loom and socket required for a very neat installation.The charger itself is in fact a CTEK XS 3600 ( the instruction leaflet gives this away) but has the Jaguar leaper on the face and is fully automatic in operation. It could be my imagination but I think that she turns over with a bit more pep now before firing so maybe this install has been rather timely. 
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: New XK Electric Faults(Never Again)
By sheer coincidence (because I didn't appreciate there was a Jaguar version), that is the exact battery conditioner I use and which the JEC sells. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests