Power fold mirrors & Reverse parking sensors

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

jagdaveh

Member
Posts:25
Joined:Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:21 pm
Power fold mirrors & Reverse parking sensors

Postby jagdaveh » Thu May 25, 2006 1:08 pm

Hi all, I'm a newcomer to the forum but club member for 7 or 8 years - I can't remember!! I upgraded from my XJS 3.6 coupe a couple of years ago to a MY98 Convertible XK8 - the car of my dreams (or nightmares when the servicing bill arrives!!) - now with 40k on the clock.

I'd like to know if it's possible to fit Power fold mirrors to my car to make getting in the garage easier. Is the wiring already in the loom and just a question of connecting up or is it starting from scratch.

Also, I'd like to have reverse parking aids but don't fancy the £600 that Jaguar seem to want to do it. Has anyone tried the ones advertised in the Jag Mag for £60-£70? I appreciate they're not exactly the same but for that much less do they still do the job?

I've read all about timing chain tensioners and wonder if anyone out there has done it themselves? Any special tools required or things to look out for?

Reading through other items in the forum gives me that warm feeling of not being alone: shaky suspension from over inflated tyres; misting headlamps; dodgy electrics; etc. but am I the only person who had to wait 3 months for Jaguar to supply me with a replacement handbrake cable - finally shipped back from the US!!!

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:53 am

Hi Dave, It's interesting to hear about your car's issues. Your comments sound as if your experiences been a little on the unlucky side of things.

To start the ball rolling on your queries, Dave Marks fits an aftermarket reversing sensor kit to 'our' cars and recommends it as being rather more sensibly priced than the Jaguar components. That said, I bought the Jaguar kit from one Stoneleigh event (~£100) and fitted it myself. The only difficult bit was cutting into the bumper. It made me hold my breath for a while until I knew I'd got it absolutely right! Good luck. Mike.

XK8UK
Posts:35
Joined:Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:33 pm

Postby XK8UK » Mon May 29, 2006 12:36 pm

I'd check out the prices on

http://ardkeen.ie/universalparkingsystems/index.html

under products before buying anywhere else, they have some very sophisticated ones from £35 up.

aqua1947
Posts:25
Joined:Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:54 pm
Location:East Berkshire

Postby aqua1947 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:43 pm

Hi Dave
Ebay can pop up some good buys when it comes to reversing sensors. I got a 'never been used' SNG Barrett Jag kit for £35.00. I believe new they cost 60 something. Had an independent Jag garage fit them. Fairly straightforward job - got them sprayed up the same body colour. They work really well and the wife finds reversing much easier. Alan
ABM

peterdyer
Posts:13
Joined:Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:43 pm
Location:West Sussex

Postby peterdyer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:15 am

Hand brake cable, hmmm, mine was broken by MOT tester, on a Fri, two years ago ! Got it fixed next day ! ps I always use handbrake but, had never applied that much force as the day I watched him break it !! Didn't half go with a BANG ! Still better to go there, than when I REALLY needed it ? :shock: I got the jaguar rev park sensors fitted, knew they would fit & work , no problems.. Talking of cables ! Boot would not stay shut ! Cable to electrical actuator had frayed ,nearly snapped. I picked up new cable today,using key to unlock boot at present. Just don't place keys in boot ,as once it is shut ........D'oh !! :evil: Cheers Peter

GrandTourer
Posts:297
Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Location:Leicester, UK

Postby GrandTourer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:49 pm

Hi daveh,
3 months seems 'unreal', I wonder if the propblem was with the company you ordered it through.
I broke my handbrake cable (end nipple snapped off) in July this year, went to a local Jaguar Independant Garage to check the problem. He ordered a new cable that afternoon and it was delivered next morning to him from the local main dealer. As it so happened, the car was booked in for fitting a new waterpump/thermostat as a precaution that next day just by coincidence, so he added the handbrake cable to the job.
Maybe you have just been unlucky this time :roll:
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue

SKS
Posts:3
Joined:Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:00 pm

Powerfold Mirrors

Postby SKS » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:09 pm

Hi Dave
Did you ever get anywhere with the powerfold mirrors, I think I`m in the same position, its either get out of the car and fold or risk the scrapes again and again. I found an upgrade kit for my S type, genuine Jaguar and all the cables were in situ. Only problem, had to take it back for Dealer to program.

jagdaveh

Member
Posts:25
Joined:Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:21 pm

Postby jagdaveh » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:56 pm

No, to the Powerfold question. Other matters have been more important - like brakes!! Would still like to know if the mirror wiring is already fitted and just needs connecting up otherwise it could be a big job adding more wires to the miles that are already there!

GrandTourer
Posts:297
Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Location:Leicester, UK

Postby GrandTourer » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:07 pm

When I first bought my XK8, MY2000 getting on to 3 years ago, I also investigated the option of fitting the Powerfold Mirrors. My dealer quoted me about £400 plus fitting at the time. This makes me assume, that the wiring may already be excisting, otherwise dealers don't usually want to do it.
The best suggestion I have, contact your dealer (or any dealer) and ask them that question. A good dealer will give you the answer.
Good Luck.
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue

SKS
Posts:3
Joined:Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:00 pm

Postby SKS » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:15 pm

At last got some sense from the dealer. States that unless fitted at factory they will need new wiring harness. Lots of bother. Also spoke to some owners who want to swap to manual as the powerfold mirrors become loose and are more problems than they are worth. I`ve now settled into the regime of reaching out and folding back by hand. Cheaper in the long run and like Dave can put the money to better use on the brakes.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests