Window squeak

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

Steve
Posts:29
Joined:Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:15 am
Window squeak

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:57 pm

This only happens when it rains!! If I drop one of the windows, as it slides down the rubber seal that is fixed to the little quarter light behind the main window, it screeches as the glass slides on the rubber. Most un-Jaguar like! I assume that a touch of something a little slippery would fix it but wonder what the best product would be to allow the glass to slide easily. has anyone solved this one??
Steve

User avatar
Bassman
Posts:85
Joined:Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location:Addlestone, Surrey & Kerleit, Finistere

Postby Bassman » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:36 pm

Hmmm mine does that as well :lol: maybe a smear of silicon grease :? not Vaseline as that rots rubber :wink:
Paul
[b]1998 XK8 Antigua Blue[/b]

MyQuest

Member
Posts:141
Joined:Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:55 am
Location:Amesbury UK

Sqeaky window rubbers.

Postby MyQuest » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Mine too. Today is the first time my 99 Coupe has been out in real rain for some time and she's sqealing like a pig...!

(My Ford Ka is just the same). Umm, Mr. Ford...

Something else strange happened today - I was adjusting the mirror when a plastic retainer ring round the swivel ball at the 'back' of the unit shattered and caused the mirror to go somewhat floppy. Found most of the bits - but have no clue at this stage whether it's an easy replacement/fix - anybody out there know?

Michael.

Harland
Posts:15
Joined:Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:57 pm

Postby Harland » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:36 am

Hi Guys
Had the same problem with my XK8 - I found the best product to use is Halfords Silicone Oil - it comes in a yellow aerosol can and I use it on all the rubber trim and also the hood frame - it stops a lot of the squeaks
Peter

Steve
Posts:29
Joined:Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:15 am

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:36 pm

Many thanks for all the responses. It's nice to know I am not alone :P I think I will give the Hhalfords silicone grease a try and let you know the result (if it rains again!!)
Steve

Steve
Posts:29
Joined:Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:15 am

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:51 pm

I just noticed that I have forgotten to report back on the squeak progress (I have been a bit distracted by the leaky door seal mentioned in another thread). I applied a small amount of the Halfords Silicone OIl and although it didn't work immediately, after a couple of days it seems to have settled down and the windows are silent again.
Thanks
Steve

MikeDoggart
Posts:36
Joined:Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:22 pm

Thanks Peter

Postby MikeDoggart » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:00 pm

I also had a squeaky driver's window and an application of Halford's Silicone Spray has cured it completely. Now I just have to find something to do with the rest of the can!
Mike.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests