Hi Folks
Anyone have any ball park figures for a top quality re-spray?
It's not immediate, but will probably do year after next, just want to get an idea.
The car is pretty sound as is, just needs a few jobs done on wings and doors to repair some dents, mainly cosmetic, but will need a really good paint job to bring her up to scratch.
I see KWE charge from 13k or so for a bare metal re-spray! I was thinking more 3-4k? Does anyone have any approx. figures and any recommendations / good experience?
Many thanks
Stuart
Cost of a good quality re-spray
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Cost of a good quality re-spray
You will have to decide first just how far you wish to go, then with full details worked out I'm sure you will be able to obtain some quotes. Are you going to remove all brightwork for instance, plus door handles, badges, lights, number plates etc. You will be well advised to investigate the area round the screen behind the trim which is a regular trouble spot which can lurk unseen. Mine and another XJS met via this forum were dealt with near here at Westwoodside at reasonable cost this year and I know he does full re-sprays. Rather far for you but you are welcome to his address if you want it. Paul. (See approved supplier list - I think he is on it -- Donnelly Motors).
1994 Coupe AJ6 engine
Cost of a good quality re-spray
Paul
I think I would be looking at a good quality job...i.e. removing Chrome, trim etc to give as good a job as possible. I think anything less will be short sighted as it will just result in problems later.
I just want to find someone who really knows what they are doing and won't take any shortcuts. There are plenty around who will make the car look good cosmetically, but I want a good quality job that will last many years.
Best regards
Stuart
I think I would be looking at a good quality job...i.e. removing Chrome, trim etc to give as good a job as possible. I think anything less will be short sighted as it will just result in problems later.
I just want to find someone who really knows what they are doing and won't take any shortcuts. There are plenty around who will make the car look good cosmetically, but I want a good quality job that will last many years.
Best regards
Stuart
Cost of a good quality re-spray
The local chap I use is very good and specialises in restoration work. He does all the Aston Martin work for Desmond Smail. The problem for you is, he is located just outside Northampton not exactly local to you.
When looking for a spray shop try to find one that does restoration work not accident repair.
You can reduce the cost of the job by doing some of the preparation yourself, like removing the lights, trim, door handles etc. I have done this on previous cars I have had resprayed, it can make quite a difference to the cost.
When looking for a spray shop try to find one that does restoration work not accident repair.
You can reduce the cost of the job by doing some of the preparation yourself, like removing the lights, trim, door handles etc. I have done this on previous cars I have had resprayed, it can make quite a difference to the cost.
Cost of a good quality re-spray
We do also have of course at Worksop the man who does all the restoration work for the JDHT collection,Alan Proctor, as good as you are likely to find if not looking for the cheapest - well worth travelling for I would say. He is now Bodywork and Restoration advisor to most of the Club Forums. His details are in the Club Mag. as is usually a picture or two of recent work. Paul.
1994 Coupe AJ6 engine
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests