Update from earlier posting:
I soldered the suspect connection at a surface mount resistor, then reassembled and I now have another fully functional fob. Putting all of the info spread around different posts in one place might help someone else in the future, so the full procedure for getting your early XJ8 fob working again was as follows:
1, Make sure that the little flap inside the ignition key barrel drops to close off the hole (lock lube and work key in and out if necessary)
2, Dismantle remote and clean all contacts on both side of circuit board with pencil eraser (better than solvents and thanks to Paul Gover for that tip)
3, Clean the pads on the rubber diaphragm the same way.
4, Re assemble the remote with 2 new CR2016 coin cells fitted as directed inside the fob case (+ve sides down)
5, Sit in the car with all doors, bonnet and boot closed.
6, Have all remotes and ignition key to hand.
7, Pull headlamp flasher towards steering wheel to activate main beam.
8, Keep flasher in this position and insert ignition key and turn to 1st position.
9, Flash headlamps FOUR more times and red LED on J Gate will flash ONCE
10, Press lock button on each remote to a total of FIVE presses (eg one remote 5 times, 2 remotes - 3 on one and 2 on the other etc)
11, Remove ignition key and the J Gate LED will flash ONCE more
Job Done
Ian
Fobbed off! Result!
Re: Fobbed off! Result!
IT WORKS!!!
I knew the various progamming sequences, but had a load of fobs I could not get to pair with cars
spent an hour or so, stripping, cleaning with contact cleaner and an eraser and got all of my many non working fobs working, deep joy, jobs a good 'un
I knew the various progamming sequences, but had a load of fobs I could not get to pair with cars
spent an hour or so, stripping, cleaning with contact cleaner and an eraser and got all of my many non working fobs working, deep joy, jobs a good 'un
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
Re: Fobbed off! Result!
Mega classic fix.
All done with safety and economy in mind and without significant loss of life.
One for the magazine?
Mike
All done with safety and economy in mind and without significant loss of life.
One for the magazine?
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Fobbed off! Result!
It's refreshing to see that persistence does pay off, and I agree definitely one for the magazine to share more widely. Well done.
Andy
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
Re: Fobbed off! Result!
Over to you Ian, a few words for the magazine, either to me ir Nigel Thorley directly??
Re: Fobbed off! Result!
Thanks all for the kind words and help - I have already put a page on my site regarding this issue and have even put some pics up - and the programming instructions. I will cull all of that and with a bit of editing and some pics of a dismantled fob, I should have something to send to Nigel.
Not many more bits to fix on this ever improving 'disposable motorcar'
http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/what'snew.htm
Regards,
Ian
Not many more bits to fix on this ever improving 'disposable motorcar'
http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/what'snew.htm
Regards,
Ian
Re: Fobbed off! Result!
Word doc and pics sent to Nigel T - might just be of use to someone. I wonder how long my car has been without working fobs.
Anyway, I'm now on with the OSF front wheel bearing job - bought a spare unit and have made a hub clamp plate and bought a Rotor Nut tool (Laser) new for £21 and it worked a treat. So tight I ended up on my a**e a few feet back from the bench when it finally let go
Will post some info in the correct section when it's all back and another page on my site with pics.
Ian
Anyway, I'm now on with the OSF front wheel bearing job - bought a spare unit and have made a hub clamp plate and bought a Rotor Nut tool (Laser) new for £21 and it worked a treat. So tight I ended up on my a**e a few feet back from the bench when it finally let go
Ian
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

