The car is a 1998 XJ8. Been running perfectly, but noticed that the remote fob has been a bit slow unlocking the car. Thought new batteries should cure it, but hadn't done that yet.
Went back to the car today, unlocked it, dash lit up but no starter motor activity. Thought it might be connected to low batteries in remote, and tried locking/unlocking again. Remote would not lock or unlock, although I could hear the fuel cap lock working. With key in door only the drivers door would lock/unlock 'mechanically', and no activity from the other door locks. With ignition on I tried the lock/unlock dash button, but no activity.
I returned to the car about 2 hours later with spare battery, jump leads spanners etc. Remote fob would still not work, but when I tried the ignition the car started.
After driving home everything was back to normal.......remote fob, lock/unlock button, etc.
My main suspect is a bad connection or failure of the car battery, and perhaps it recovered in the two hours I left it. I know that it is 4 years old. Any other suggestions?
Non Starter
Re: Non Starter
A low battery can make a monkey of you!
All sorts of gremlins occur with a duff battery. The list of daft happenings in such a situation can become endless!
Each time I`ve changed a battery on a modern Jaguar, normal service appears to be restored. Leaving the car power free for twenty minutes or so, clears the computors of fault codes. That is handy as well. Remember to have your radio code handy as you will need to code it into the radio. The clock will also need re setting.
Mike
All sorts of gremlins occur with a duff battery. The list of daft happenings in such a situation can become endless!
Each time I`ve changed a battery on a modern Jaguar, normal service appears to be restored. Leaving the car power free for twenty minutes or so, clears the computors of fault codes. That is handy as well. Remember to have your radio code handy as you will need to code it into the radio. The clock will also need re setting.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Non Starter
i'm inclined to agree with Mike, every chance this is a duff or failing battery
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

