Page 1 of 1

Beer can bursts on back seat... how do I get rid of smell?

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:24 am
by bmc123
It had to happen sometime I suppose, I gave a friend a lift and his shopping bag contained some beer, one of these burst and even though I could only see what could best be described as "dampness" on the rear seat and it was cleaned up quickly I can still smell something. I can only assume some of it made its way behind the seat squab into whatever is back there, or I managed to not clean it properly to begin with.

any suggestions?

I don't want to damage the leather by using something nasty on it.


Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:42 am
by J44EAG
Perhaps Autoglym Leather cleaner followed buy their deodoriser product.
I think I would avoid spraying the deodoriser on the leather though.

You might have to clean the leather several times, but go easy and leave a period of time between sessions to avoid lifting the colour out of the leather.

You might also considr contacting Autoglym technical department for best advice or maybe a leather restoration business.

Stale beer smells terrible. Could have been worse- milk! now that really does stink when it goes off.

Mike


Cleaning bad smells ect from car

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:35 pm
by joejag308
BMC dont laugh when i tell you what we used in the taxi trade when we had a puker or even worse...........there is something worse....... that's a tom cat peeing in the car.........we used the stuff for babies nappies called
Milton Sterilizing Fluid that used to get rid of it after a while...........but i once had to sell a car because of the cat P...nothing gets that out..........any staining put the cleaner on the damp cloth and warm not hot water then wipe dry with a dry towel........unless its Autolux leather now there is a special set of cleaning rules for Autolux........the top end cars have it fitted and its a top leather that is coated and its sprayed on but it doesn't like too heavy or wet cleaners........Joe :lol: :roll: ..


Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:47 am
by daveji
The supermarkets stock a product called "Fabreeze" for this purpose.
I use it to remove smells resulting from our "cat accidents"
Recommended


Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:13 pm
by bmc123
Cheers for the info, no staining or anything, I simply cleaned it again with warm water and dried it - there is still a faint odour, I suspect some of it managed to make its way down behind the seat so it looks like I may have to lift the seat squab up to have a look.

I'm an ex cab driver myself so know all about the little "presents" that can be left behind, :? in those days we used to buy bottles of stuff used by the local hospital (can't remember the name of it) but it was brilliant for anything I ever had to clean.

I'll get a little bit of febreeze for the carpet and just give the leather another go with some proper leather cleaner and conditioner although I think I read somewhere else that simple warm water would usually suffice. At some point I will get the smell of leather back - even if I have to buy an air freshener to do it
8)


Smell of leather

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:34 am
by joejag308
try a product called Gliptone there is a cleaner and a conditioner which are very good..............and leave your car smelling of leather.......
I use a magic tree called Vanilla the yellow one.........after a few it gets right in the corners and everywhere............


Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:22 pm
by bmc123
Gliptone? ah yes I think there is some of that in my dads shed (he has a Rover 75 with leather seats) methinks a little visit to his shed is in order 8)


how to get rid of smell

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:19 pm
by 4560max
hi when i used to go shooting the smell of wet dogs in the cars was very strong we used shake and vac ??shake it over the carpets and leave for a couple of days it really did work 4560max