Page 1 of 1

Bumper scratch

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:08 am
by DougX
After having my car resprayed a couple of years ago, I have kept it pristine ever since. While washing it the other day I discovered a small scratch on the right hand side front bumper, which must have occurred in a car park. I contacted a number of local respray companies and smart repairers. I was miffed that the price being quoted are all around £200! For such a small scratch I was expecting around £75 tops. No chance! It wasn’t that long ago I was being quoted £75 for similar damage. What is going on? Are these companies getting greedy? Chips Away indicate they are cheaper than professional body shops but they quoted me £192!!!

Re: Bumper scratch

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:12 pm
by andypryce
These small scratches are so common nowadays, with cars getting so much bigger. I must admit I resort to touch up paint, but then I am by no means a perfectionist!

Re: Bumper scratch

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:15 pm
by DougX
Took it to the company who originally resprayed the whole car and he has said that there will be no need to remove the bumper - other firms have indicated that the would - and he has quoted £120. He got the job!!!

Re: Bumper scratch

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:02 pm
by DougX
I had requested a quotation from Chips Away, the National company. Their local representative gave me a quote of £192.00. Now this company suggests they are cheaper than a professional body shop. When I indicated that I had a professional body shop quote me a lot less his reply was “ We are competitive but you'll always find someone cheaper. It's not just about price, Quality counts too and the lifetime guarantee!
We don't need to reduce our prices, we have plenty of happy customers who appreciate our service which is evident in our excellent reviews.”
As the company that undertook the original complete respray of the car a couple of years ago and all the JEC members that have seen the car following the respray couldn’t believe it had been resprayed as there were no spray lines, I don’t think you cannot call the company less professional. So how can ‘Chips Away’ profess to be cheaper than a body shop? Not in my opinion!

Re: Bumper scratch

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:46 am
by DougX
Got my car back today and have to say you can't see the scratch. What do you think?

Re: Bumper scratch

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:11 pm
by Andy P
Nice work Doug.
Bodyshop has done a good job.
Take care.
Andy :D

Re: Bumper scratch

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:41 pm
by DavidEm
Looks an excellent professional job Doug. Have you sent a picture to Chips Away? :lol:

Re: Bumper scratch

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:03 pm
by DougX
Yes I should, shouldn’t I. In fact I think I will!

Re: Bumper scratch

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:10 pm
by DougX
I received a reply from "Chips Away" fitter. His reply was, and I quote, "Thank you Doug but I really couldn't be less interested".
Charming!!!! It goes to show what type of company "Chips Away" are don't you think?

Re: Bumper scratch

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:11 pm
by DavidEm
Yes, delightful. What a shower!

Re: Bumper scratch

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:37 am
by DougX
Received this reply from Chips Away, "I am sorry to hear that you have had cause to complain on this occasion. We will be raising this with the specialist involved as this attitude is not acceptable. I am sorry that we could not assist you on this occasion."

Re: Bumper scratch

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:59 pm
by Andy P
Hi Doug,
At least they replied to you which is more than a lot of companies do these days.
Sometimes it's best to go local and if you have used them before then all the better,more than likely they will look after you.
As I said earlier repair looks great :D .
Enjoy your car Doug.
Take care and stay safe,
Andy :D