Page 1 of 1

Rust Prevention

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:41 pm
by DougX
Has anyone noticed that the front wing inner liners on the X300/X308 do not cover the whole of the inside of the wing? I noticed this when cleaning the car recently and wanted to clean off the wing lips. I took off the front wheels and sure enough, discovered that the material used only covered part of the inner wing. The inside had no sealant protection at all. Without doubt, this is a big mistake. Dirt, salt, damp will enviably cause rust to form as shown in the attached picture.

Obviously as can be seen in the following picture I have has the rust cut out and replaced with new metal but am surprised that there is no protection for this area. I have now covered the whole exposed area with Krust rust prevention. Let it dried, then painted it with black smooth finish Hammerite, then when this was dry sprayed Hammerite underbody protection seal. Hopefully, this will prevent a re-occurrence of this issue. Other owners might well consider doing the same.

Re: Rust Prevention

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:59 pm
by 700SN
:D that’s a good job!!
Does anybody know if the rear arches are supposed to have plastic liners?
(2001 XJR) it’s a bit bonkers if not.
It just looks like all the crud would fly up on to the rear exhaust boxes....

Re: Rust Prevention

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:40 am
by DougX
Hi 700SN, Not sure, mine is in storage until 1st October so can't check. Anyone else out there can check?

Re: Rust Prevention

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:05 pm
by Andy P
Hi 700SN,
No rear liners I'm affraid,just a small plastic sheild that they call a wheelarch liner :lol: .
No 7 in the link below:
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/
Enjoy your XJR :) .
Take care.
Andy :D .