Winscreen Replaced

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

User avatar
Andy P

Member
Posts:960
Joined:Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 am
Location:Plymouth,Devon,U.K. J.E.C.Member
Winscreen Replaced

Postby Andy P » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:40 am

Had a nasty chip on the passenger side of the windscreen which has been annoying me.
IMG_20170709_123818.jpg
Nasty Chip
Now I like to do things myself on my car but replacing a windscreen is quite a job and although I'm sure I could do it you do need some level of expertise and the right tools/equipment.
So I thought I'd get it changed by a well known company.
I used Autoglass and I must say they are very thorough in the way that they would not undertake the job until they made sure they had all the right parts for the job(mainly the correct type jel for the rain sensor).
Three visits I had before they did the job and the end result is very pleasing.
Nothing nasty found once the windscreen was removed either :D
I am always nervous when letting other parties work on my car and I always keep an eye how they respect the car in general and in this case the chap was very good.Took about 90 mins from start to finish.
IMG_20170712_121646.jpg
Back of the interior mirror
Took a photo of the back of the rear view mirror and the bracket it attaches to.
You pull it down to remove,keeping it at the same angle as the glass.
Push it up to put back on.
IMG_20170712_112834.jpg
Bracket for interior mirror
I didn't realise how scratched my windscreen was until I drove with the new one.
Enjoy your cars.
Take Care.
Andy :D
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia

User avatar
BrianG

Member
Posts:461
Joined:Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:23 pm
Location:West Sussex

Re: Winscreen Replaced

Postby BrianG » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:33 pm

I hope you have better luck with your Autoglass screen than the two I had with my '99 X308. I bought the car at three years old and after about a year of ownership it needed a new screen. Autoglass came and did it in the car park at work and it seemed fine, however, it only lasted about 18 months before a tiny chip suddenly turned into a big crack. Autoglass would not fit another in the work car park and insisted they take it away to the depot on the other side of the industrial estate, less than a mile away. It came back with a new screen but also extra 12 miles on the clock - what?!. That screen lasted only about a year when, again, a small chip turned into a big crack.

For the third windscreen I got the RAC to fit one at home: that was still going strong when I sold the car 9 years later. It had collected several small chips, but none of these turned into cracks. Draw your own conclusions about Autoglass windscreen quality and care of owners' cars.
Brian
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey

User avatar
Andy P

Member
Posts:960
Joined:Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 am
Location:Plymouth,Devon,U.K. J.E.C.Member

Re: Winscreen Replaced

Postby Andy P » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi BrianG,
The first guy who came out said even if there wasn't a problem with the jel he would not of fitted the one they had loaded because it looked like it had been in the store for years :shock:,the second chap bought a different one(I think/hope),he had to unwrap this one and I wish I had taken more note of the stickers on it now but there was still a problem with the jel which is why he didn't fit it,the third time they bought the right jel(again I hope),so like you say,hope I have better luck,I will keep fingers and everything else crossed,only time will tell I guess but I'll take note of your comments if I need a windscreen again.
Lets hope I never need to start a thread entitled "Never go to Autoglass" :)
Thanks for the advice Brian.
Take care
Andy :D
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest