Page 1 of 1
Can you put LPG on an XJR
Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:46 pm
by chewy
I'm looking at getting LPG on my 1998 XJR with Nikasil liners.
I've been told its a tricky job with prices ranging from £2000+vat to £2700+vat.
One problem that has been mentioned is of the valves burning/pitting. The garage said this isn't a problem on steel linered cars.
Are the valves different between cars?
Who is a good place to entrust my car with? I live in Staithes, North Yorkshire so closer is better but I don't mind travelling to get the job done right first time!
Thanks
Phill
LPG conversion
Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:25 pm
by joejag308
near to you is........ Autogas 2000 > Car Conversions in Thirsk
Tel: 01845 526783 - Carlton Miniott, Thirsk, North Yorkshire, YO7 4NJ (22.0
In Leeds a well known for a number of years
E-mail:
westyorkshireautogas@yahoo.co.uk
Phone: 0113 2344 097
Address:
5 Cross Chancellor Street, Leeds, LS6 2TG
Hope this is of use .......Joe
Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:10 pm
by chewy
It was actually Autogas 2000 who said about the valves burning. I've spoke to a few places who said it'll be fine. One of the places also said its fine to do an X type even though its prone to valve recession!
Does anyone have know if the valves are different on Nikasil engines and steel liner engines?
answer for problem Chewy
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:45 am
by joejag308
david@davidmarksgarages.co.uk .............the safest way to do most things ...............Joe
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:43 pm
by daveji
Keith Mugglestone is the JEC expert on LPG for Jags.
He is in Lincolnshire.....a long way from you but has great experience in this field.
phone 01205 280317
www.jaguarfuelconversions.co.uk
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:34 pm
by Brakebuster
put some pedals on there,
it will be even more fuel efficient then............?
its a super-car.....keep it that way
BB
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:30 pm
by chewy
I can still have super car performance with LPG though. Seems daft not to get LPG if its going to pay for itself.
Think I'm going to have a look over Autogas2000 as they are reasonably priced and a lad I know recommended them.
If anyone finds out about the valves let me know please.
Thanks
Phill
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:43 pm
by wsa
I suggest you try Steve Sparrow of /GO_LPG. He has converted many Jags. He converted my XJ8 to LPG last Autumn and when I visited him recently, he was converting his own XJR. He is in the Worcester area. In any event I am sure he will give you some good advice.
William
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:00 pm
by blackflash
Did you do the conversion?
Are you happy with it?
Re: Can you put LPG on an XJR
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 pm
by TROY
hi all
i am considering having my 2002 3.2v8 converted to lpg.can anyone recomend a garage to carry out this type of work.i live in surrey but am willing to travel.
thanks guys
Re: Can you put LPG on an XJR
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:13 am
by steveandtina
an xjr wiv a bottle of gas in boot!!!!YEH GET ONE OF THEM LEATHER STEERING WHEEL COVERS AND SOME HALFORDS CUP HOLDERS,NAH it dont sound too good that mate.
Re: Can you put LPG on an XJR
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:51 pm
by robv12
I'll repeat what I always say on the LPG subject, some love it and swear by it, I loathe it, I have yet to see a car run correctly on it, or even see what I consider to be a good conversion, and to date no one has shoen me anything to change my mind
gas is also not as cheap as it was, so the mileage covered will have to greater to get near the pay back figures
My local LPG guy who is probably the best I have seen imo, recommend not to do XJR's due to the hotter running and fear of valve reccession
just my thoughts, discuss!!!