Hi,
It's time to replace some very old tyres on my LWB Daimler XJ8, Year 2000. The tyres at the front have a load / speed rating of 100W XL. I understand that the 100 is the load (weight) rating, the W denotes max speed and that XL stands for 'extra load'. It seems these are hard to come by and my garage wonders whether it would be OK to reduce the load rating to 96, but he doesn't want to do anything that's not in line with the manufacturer's guidelines.
It is a long wheel-base car, so may weigh a little more -or even have been used as a limo in the past and carried a full complement of passengers (not now, there's usually only two of us in the car), but there's nothing in the handbook about load ratings for tyres - just sizes.
I reckon that I'd be fine to go down to 96-rated tyres on all four corners, especially as the back already has 96Ys on it, but is there any wisdom out there, or opinions on this topic ?
Many thanks,
Paul.
X308 Long Wheel Base - is load rating a concern ?
Re: X308 Long Wheel Base - is load rating a concern ?
Hi Os1pch,
I have just had a look at mine and I have 102 on the front and 98 on the rear.
It has been driving fine.
The Pirelli 4000E tyre which is the original recommended tyre by Jaguar is 98.
From info on other sites I have found that the 98 has a load capacity of 1653 lbs / 751 kgs at 44psi.
Here is the chart in full.
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car ... load-index
I think I have had 96 in the past and like yourself there are only two people in the car and a bit of luggage.
I would try and find 98 or above just for peace of mind.
Hope that helps a bit.
Good luck.
Andy
.
I have just had a look at mine and I have 102 on the front and 98 on the rear.
It has been driving fine.
The Pirelli 4000E tyre which is the original recommended tyre by Jaguar is 98.
From info on other sites I have found that the 98 has a load capacity of 1653 lbs / 751 kgs at 44psi.
Here is the chart in full.
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car ... load-index
I think I have had 96 in the past and like yourself there are only two people in the car and a bit of luggage.
I would try and find 98 or above just for peace of mind.
Hope that helps a bit.
Good luck.
Andy
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Re: X308 Long Wheel Base - is load rating a concern ?
Andy, thanks for your reply and for the useful information - and apologies for my slow reply.
I think the garage were worried about their liability in the event of any problems, if they didn't follow the manufacturer's official guidelines. In the end, I went for a set of 96-rated budget tyres. Surely they'll be safer than the 10+ year old ones that they replaced ? - the ride is definitely improved thanks to the modern treads and there have been no issues so far. Funds allowing, I'll try to use 98s next time
I think the garage were worried about their liability in the event of any problems, if they didn't follow the manufacturer's official guidelines. In the end, I went for a set of 96-rated budget tyres. Surely they'll be safer than the 10+ year old ones that they replaced ? - the ride is definitely improved thanks to the modern treads and there have been no issues so far. Funds allowing, I'll try to use 98s next time
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
