Lunar Wheel

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

User avatar
Andy P

Member
Posts:960
Joined:Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 am
Location:Plymouth,Devon,U.K. J.E.C.Member
Lunar Wheel

Postby Andy P » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi fellow X308 Owners,
When I got my car it had a space saver spare wheel and I'd thought about getting a full size spare at some time in the future if I came across one.
Well that time came when I saw one on eBay for £30.00 with a good tyre but collection only,actually it started of at £45.00 and when it didn't sell he relisted for the £30.00.
The wheel was in Portsmouth and I'm in Plymouth so were talking about 360 miles round trip if I go and get it,well I thought about for a few weeks and said to myself if it's still on eBay when I have a week off work I might go and get it then.
Yes it was still there but now it's back in Plymouth,although it seems a bit eccentric to go all that way just for a wheel we had a great day out and took the A303 from Devon and came back through Southampton,Bournemouth and back down that way,400 miles in total and the Jag returned an average of 29.6 MPG and never missed a beat.
s-l1600.jpg
Lunar Wheel
So another enhancement has been achieved and although no one sees it I know I have a full size spare in the boot :lol: .
Enjoy your cars everyone.
Take Care.
Andy :D
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Lunar Wheel

Postby RichardSEL » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 am

took the A303 from Devon and came back through Southampton,Bournemouth and back down that way,400 miles in total and the Jag returned an average of 29.6 MPG and never missed a beat.
I've done that route twice: once in a 1949 Rover (P2) in 1964 from Soton to Liskeard --->Minions
And once in a 1961 Rover 60 (P3) in 1968. Because of the free/fixed wheel (that didn't seem to work on the P2 AFAICR) returned just over 50mpg. Free/fixed wheels were outlawed soon after with the then Mininstry of Transport claiming that they didn't offer any gearbox braking. Never did understand that. What gearbox braking's available from an automatic?

For a 4L, your XJ8 offers excellent fuel economy. My 3.2L can achieve that going down to Soton via Liphook from southeast London. But I have to drive lightfoot and within the speed limit. Of course, how else :wink:
Were you able to give yours some wellie?
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

User avatar
Andy P

Member
Posts:960
Joined:Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 am
Location:Plymouth,Devon,U.K. J.E.C.Member

Re: Lunar Wheel

Postby Andy P » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Were you able to give yours some wellie?
Hi Richard,

I'm a comfort person really but am also known to lapse into short bursts of attempted imitations of Stirling Moss/Jackie Stewart :lol: , etc.
Always pleases me when joining a dual carriageway or motorway,effortless acceleration and when it comes to inclines and there are a few steep ones in Devon she just glides up them with hardly any effort :D .
Can only imagine what the XJR is like :D.
Hope all of your cars are coming along well.
Take Care.
Andy :D
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests