Tyres for my X308 1998 Sovereign 4.0 LWB?

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

Imperial1965
Posts:1
Joined:Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 pm
Tyres for my X308 1998 Sovereign 4.0 LWB?

Postby Imperial1965 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:24 am

Hi there - any suggestions? Pirelli say they currently produce nothing suitable. They say that their current P7 is designed for the Audi A6.

One I'm considering is the Goodyear Efficient Grip. Or Michelin Primacy HP. Or Continental Premium Contact 2. Or people have suggested Bridgestone?

I've got standard size wheels, so I'm looking for 225/60 R16 98W or Y - I believe that's right?

Many thanks indeed, all the best

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders

Re: Tyres for my X308 1998 Sovereign 4.0 LWB?

Postby robv12 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Bridgestone are good, Falken too come highly recommmended, I had a set of Avons on an XJR 300 which I thought were good

depending on usage and mileage you could also look at something like a Kuhmo which is a bit more on the budget side

hope this helps a little
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Tyres for my X308 1998 Sovereign 4.0 LWB?

Postby ptjs1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:20 am

If you like Pirellis, you could try the P6000 225/55 r16 98W.

Late XJSs used the 225/60 r16 98W (which is now obsolete) but the 225/55 was always the sport option. I have these fitted to my XJS and I don't think you'll really notice any difference in ride compliance moving to the 55 tyre.

Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

2jags-pete

Member
Posts:1
Joined:Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:44 pm

Re: Tyres for my X308 1998 Sovereign 4.0 LWB?

Postby 2jags-pete » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:41 pm

If you like grip in the wet, don't go with the cheap ones like Nankang. I prefer Pirellis, but had some great Goodyears, also have some Continentals on at moment which are fine, any of the brands you mentioned are great, I find Michelins last longer than anything else. On the cheaper side Barum are still grippy, also had some Enduro's that gripped.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests