Page 1 of 1

Rear wheel brg change - special tool required?

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:53 pm
by XJ_Driver
I need to replace the N/S/R wheel bearing on my '99 XJ8 as it is excessively noisy. I bought a new bearing from David Manners and am planning to ask my local mechanic to fit it. I think I read somewhere that a special tool is required, or have I just imagined that?

Re: Rear wheel brg change - special tool required?

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:18 pm
by Brakebuster
you need a reluctor ring removal tool

this reluctor ring is a toothed ring that gets put on behind the bearing to allow the abs sensor to detect wheel rotation ,
the reluctor ring needs removing first

the tool can be bought or hired from the JEC

BB

Re: Rear wheel brg change - special tool required?

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:56 pm
by Azure123
Hi BB, do rear bearings not need the use of a press to remove and refit?

Steve