Page 1 of 1
Brake pressure on pumping
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:29 pm
by abbirkin
For 25 years my brakes on my 1965 S type have been perfect, engaging first time near the top of travel.
Overnight, the pedal is now engaging lower down, although improves with pumping.
I have changed the fluid, which was dirty and contained little bits (parts of seals?) but no improvement.
Before I change master cylinder/servo/individual seals, has anyone come across this problem please.
Barrie
Re: Brake pressure on pumping
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:20 pm
by ptjs1
Barrie,
As you'll appreciate, the modern ABS electronic systems on cars such as the x308 have very different cause and symptoms compared to a 1960's S-Type.
However, my gut feel on a basic 1960's system with symptoms such as this is that it's a failure of the master cylinder seal, whereby pumping of the pedal causes a pressure build-up of fluid which helps to "catch" the seal on subsequent pumps. I'd definitely start with a seal change or recon cylinder.
Good luck
Paul
Re: Brake pressure on pumping
Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:31 pm
by PaulGover
... and if you're changing the seals, take the opportunity to replace all the flexible hoses, unless you've done so in the past couple of years. AFAIR at least one of the old workshop manuals said (not in the brakes section) replace the fluid every 18000 miles, hoses every 36000, and seals every 72000. Or maybe 15/30/60,000 miles.
Re: Brake pressure on pumping
Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:06 pm
by abbirkin
I appreciate both comments (I actually posted the query on the wrong forum) and will work though the system starting with the master cylinder . I really have had my money's worth out of the brakes!
Barrie
Re: Brake pressure on pumping
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 pm
by abbirkin
Thanks for all your interest. I finally lost all the fluid on a hair raising journey home, but since there were no apparent leaks the servo was removed which contained the fluid. Now awaiting the servo to be reconditioned and hopefully problem solved.
Barrie