Hi Guys,
Could someone please confirm that all XJ8 models are fitted with the ZF 5HP24 gearbox? My car is a 2000 Soverign V8 4.0 litre but the owners vehicle care only lists the gearbox type for the 3.2 litre - helpfully saying simply "5 speed" against the 4.0 N/A and S/C engines. I know that!
If it makes any sense, my gearbox number is 0331858. I'm planning the gearbox oil & filter change and, as our oil supplier for work (Wessex Petroleum) is the main Esso / Mobil dealer, I'm going to see if I can get a better price for the Esso LT71141 (so long as my gearbox is a ZF!
I'll post the answer (oil price) on this website, should anyone else be interested.
Yours Aye,
Alan C
Gearbox
ZF gearbox
Alan, if you go to the GENERAL box on this forum you will see a file called
"An Outline" you should be able to get get your answer in there mate.
Joe
"An Outline" you should be able to get get your answer in there mate.
Joe
the 5 speed zf gearbox is fitted to all xj308 except the xj8r wich has a mercedes box fitted. they are both supposed to be sealed for life units but i would recomend oil and filter change to help prolong the life of these units having read other threads it seems trouble starts with them after the 60,000 mile mark this would be a good time to change that oil and filter the correct oil is Esso LT71741 and is not cheap but is cheaper than a new gearbox
hope this helps
john xj8 lwb 3.2
hope this helps
john xj8 lwb 3.2
John, Joe, many thanks for all the advice. I have now sourced the oil (Note: Esso and other sources say it is the "Esso LT 71141" oil for Jag / BMW ZF gearboxes, not "LT 71741", does one of us have it wrong?) at Wessex petroleum and can provide it for individual JEC members at a decent price - see my note with prices / contacts / cautions under the more general transmissions / gearboxes thread.
Good luck
Alan C
Good luck
Alan C
AlanC
Transmission oil
I am about to have the oil in my ZF gearbox changed, just to be on the safe side. I went on the web to try and get this oil a bit cheaper than Jaguar main dealers charge-£28-00/litre. Mostly you have to buy 20 litres at a cost of around £4-50 to £5-00/ litre. I have found one place that will sell it by the litre at £6-00/ litre, NWL Onestop.
However while surfing the web I came upon several forum quotes from other car enthusiasts. I find that Mercedes, ( some of the Jags I believe have Merc gearboxes), BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, and Alfa Romeo are also having problems with 'sealed for life' gearboxes.
And theres me thinking only Jaguar had gearbox problems!
Tony Frost
However while surfing the web I came upon several forum quotes from other car enthusiasts. I find that Mercedes, ( some of the Jags I believe have Merc gearboxes), BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, and Alfa Romeo are also having problems with 'sealed for life' gearboxes.
And theres me thinking only Jaguar had gearbox problems!
Tony Frost
magazine
As it happens the answer to our prayers is in this months ( FEB) national magazine.........all you need to know it seems.....including pictures (especially for me)........
RE Alan C after going through all info i can find out the correct oil code for the gearboxes (sealed for life is LT7 1141 ATF )...Joe
RE Alan C after going through all info i can find out the correct oil code for the gearboxes (sealed for life is LT7 1141 ATF )...Joe
Gearbox oil changes
The February magazine has an article on how to change the oil in the transmission. I don't want to sound unduly pessimistic but it may not make any difference to the life of your gearbox, if my experience is typical.
I got Dave Marks to change my oil at 71,000 miles in July 2005; last July at 95,000 miles the gearbox failed anyway. Not the usual failed-with-a-bang front clutch pack problem, but some sort of valve block problem that stopped selection of reverse gear when hot. (Rebuild by a ZF-approved distributor was £1942 +VAT)
I got Dave Marks to change my oil at 71,000 miles in July 2005; last July at 95,000 miles the gearbox failed anyway. Not the usual failed-with-a-bang front clutch pack problem, but some sort of valve block problem that stopped selection of reverse gear when hot. (Rebuild by a ZF-approved distributor was £1942 +VAT)
Brian
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
GEARBOX OIL CHANGE
Hello Brian,
I have had the oil changed now as it seems this is the advice from both JEC and my local Jaguar Main Dealer. I have been informed it is no guarantee the gear box will last any longer. I asked the garage that did the oil change to save me the old filter and some of the oil. There were no metal particles that could be detected in the oil sample, and the filter was not 'clogged' in any way so I feel better for knowing the gear box is at least not on it's way out at the moment, clutchwise. It is now just a matter of wait and see.
I have paid out for timing chain tensioners, new shock absorbers, gearbox oil change, removal of false alarms from the catalytic converters, all on an expensive, prestige car that is only 7 years old.
We have an MR2 that is now 15 years old, we had the clutch changed at 130,000 miles, a new radiator because a stone went through it, disc pads and filters. It still runs like new, burns no oil and looks great, there are no knocks or squeaks, or any rust that I can see and I am confident it will run another 100,000 miles. A bit of stiching has come undone on the drivers seat.
We still have a lot to learn from the Japanese!
Regards,
Tony
I have had the oil changed now as it seems this is the advice from both JEC and my local Jaguar Main Dealer. I have been informed it is no guarantee the gear box will last any longer. I asked the garage that did the oil change to save me the old filter and some of the oil. There were no metal particles that could be detected in the oil sample, and the filter was not 'clogged' in any way so I feel better for knowing the gear box is at least not on it's way out at the moment, clutchwise. It is now just a matter of wait and see.
I have paid out for timing chain tensioners, new shock absorbers, gearbox oil change, removal of false alarms from the catalytic converters, all on an expensive, prestige car that is only 7 years old.
We have an MR2 that is now 15 years old, we had the clutch changed at 130,000 miles, a new radiator because a stone went through it, disc pads and filters. It still runs like new, burns no oil and looks great, there are no knocks or squeaks, or any rust that I can see and I am confident it will run another 100,000 miles. A bit of stiching has come undone on the drivers seat.
We still have a lot to learn from the Japanese!
Regards,
Tony
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
