Rear door lock problem...an update

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

kgb123
Posts:27
Joined:Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 pm
Rear door lock problem...an update

Postby kgb123 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Hello,

My previous post regarding the problem with my rear door locking mechanism was a little short of the mark in detail. The problem is that the rear passenger door on the driver side will not open either electricaly or mechanicaly, from inside or outside of the car! All other doors operate correctly.

having stripped both rear doors down, I planned to swap over the control module units to see if fault was related to this, but on removal of the one unit, I noticed the module was described as "programable" and I am a little nervous swapping modules over might not be the right thing to do in terms of how they are programmed.

Has anybody done this before?

Any suggestions on possible fixes would be welcome, even if it is simply to get the car to a dealer!

Thanks

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Rear door lock problem...an update

Postby ptjs1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 pm

kgb123,

I'm not sure if the actuation of the lock is always achieved through the microswitch or whether the use of the internal remote lever is a fully-mechanical operation?

With the door trim removed, have you tried pulling manually on the remote lever rod to see if the door can be opened in this fashion?

As regards swapping out the units - I'm sure a quick phone call to David Marks as the club's paid technical adviser will either allay your fears or justify your concerns!

I suspect there's no risk whatsoever, but David will know.

Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

kgb123
Posts:27
Joined:Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Rear door lock problem...an update

Postby kgb123 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:31 pm

Success!! I have managed to get the rear door open!! After pussy footing around for far to long, I forced the mechanism on the top of the lock actuator, it popped, door can be released using inside and outside door handles and actuator mechanism seems to have survived! Central locking still not working though? Deffinite activity from door control module, lots of clicking etc, but actuator does not move. Anyone advise me on which pins/wires are feeds for the actuator so i can check it...better still can anyone point me at a circuit diagram?

kgb123
Posts:27
Joined:Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Rear door lock problem...an update

Postby kgb123 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi Paul, thanks for getting in touch. I have sent an email through to David and will wait to see what he says.

The connectors to the control modules on the two doors are differne tin terms of the numbers of wires in each of the two connectors which come in/out of the module. I didn't try it in the end.

The actuator itself was stuck in the plunger dowm position and regardless of what you did with handles or plunger, nothing worked. It was only after forcing the link arm off the actuator, the handles/pluger release. Having reconnected the actuator link arm, the actuator moves up and down freely, so not sure what is/was going on.

Will continue to do battle!!

Thanks

Kevin


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests