Electric door-mirrors

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

DDenby
Posts:2
Joined:Thu May 20, 2010 1:26 pm
Electric door-mirrors

Postby DDenby » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:48 pm

Hello all,

I recently purchased my first jag, about two months ago. It is an '02 XJ8 4.0SE, and I love it. One minor niggle is that when I press the electric mirror button to retract the door mirrors, the driver's side mirror sticks half-way. Its motion is also bit jerky. If I retract and extend several times, it sometimes works properly. There are no other electric issues, and the battery tests at 12.37v with the engine off, which I understand is okay-ish. Hence, I presume that it is an issue with the mirror motor itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how it can be rectified without the hassle and cost of replacement?

Also does any one recommend a good independent specialist in West London?

Many thanks


joejag308

Member
Posts:838
Joined:Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am
Location:LEEDS

Sticking mirrors

Postby joejag308 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:45 am

I had this problem myself, one mirror would go past the halfway mark and one would stop .............you have to use your hands to get them to stop both in the same position.......then press the memory button on the door panel after you get them lined up.......its just a trial and error method but it seems to do the job........Read up on your memory section of the instruction book and reset all trhe memory settings to that ....Joe :x .


Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Postby Brakebuster » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:49 pm

its bad news for both of you

your mirror is broken and cant be fixed

dont waste your time trying to reset memory functions etc, it wont work....

by this i mean that the cast metal body/mechanism has a ' tab' that resists the motor to stop it in the right place, this tab has broken and is not restricting the motor, thus it powers all the way round to the outside until it stops against the door , and the motor gives up in that position,

this tab can NOT be fixed , as the metal used is of low quality , so cant be braised or welded, or even glued

i have tried

your only option is to buy a new/used good working mirror to replace your broken one

these mirrors are handed, and you cant use one from the opposite side to repair your broken one

as mentioned, using your hand to resist and stop the mirror in the right place does the same job as the broken tab, however, its a Jag , and it looks bad to do this in traffic, lol

if you can live with this , that the cheap option, otherwise it will cost from £50 to £100 to fix

hope this helps

BB


DDenby
Posts:2
Joined:Thu May 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Postby DDenby » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Many thanks both for your kind responses. Fortunately, the resetting method in the first reply has done the trick: £0! (Also I was holding the button down for the whole retraction/extension process which seemed to confuse it.). The book states that one should just use a brief touch, which seems to work everytime. many thanks again.


joejag308

Member
Posts:838
Joined:Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am
Location:LEEDS

retracting mirrors

Postby joejag308 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:14 am

As i said it did work for me, my mirrors have behaved themdelves ever since..........Joe


E_PITT
Posts:16
Joined:Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: Electric door-mirrors

Postby E_PITT » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:39 pm

I experienced the same issues with my powerfold mirrors. After getting quite frustrated with having my mirrors swing out and point forward of the car I set about trying to find a fix. Eventually I did manage to fix them and i've now had 5 months of perfect use from them. The fix is a little crude and as i'm no engineer I would not swear that long term it wont harm the motors but for about 50p it's got to be a better alternative to a replacement at £700+ from the Jaguar dealer. I will put some photos together showing how it's done. Ed

joejag308

Member
Posts:838
Joined:Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am
Location:LEEDS

Re: Electric door-mirrors

Postby joejag308 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:53 pm

i Dont doubt Brake Buster is correct but its 3 years now since that posting when i coordinated the forum and today my morrors are working just fine ...using my hand stop method...maybe im just lucky.....but its a Jag / Daimler in my instance and wonderous things happen even moreso with the 308.......good to see everyone posting again 8)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest