No power to the radio?

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

NewCat
Posts:20
Joined:Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:10 pm
No power to the radio?

Postby NewCat » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:45 pm

I've recently picked my XJ8 up and am yet to have a working radio...

At first it said Enter Code and I fairly quickly established that the code I had was incorrect. I confirmed this when speaking to the dealer (who gave me another code).

Trouble is the radio now seems dead as a dodo. I think I may have pushed the knob to switch it off and now cannot switch it back on again. I've checked the fuse (fine) and do not have a radio manual (so maybe I'm just being a numpty).

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Jon


joejag308

Member
Posts:838
Joined:Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am
Location:LEEDS

Radio instruction

Postby joejag308 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Jon have you got any instructional manuals with the car? as you didnt seem to have the correct info re the cigar lighter? ....did the solution work out ok for that?................if you havnt got any look on E bay or in this forum in the part exchange for sale column you may be lucky and find a set...........maybe the JEC magazine will have some for sale and its free to advertise for some in there.........
If you have had 3 or more attempts to enter the code it will shut down for an hour......when the hour has elapsed turn the radio to the on position....then you have three further chances to enter the code....a main dealer (with your details and proof of ownership given will give you the appropriot code for that radio).......however dont try to enter the current code he gave you......take the car car to the dealer and ask him to enter the code he gave you or recheck the code ......he also may have a spare set of manuals too............Joe


NewCat
Posts:20
Joined:Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Postby NewCat » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 am

Hi Joe,

I have most of the instruction manuals - just not the radio one.
Not finding the right fuse for the cigar lighter was my shortsightedness and the fact there are about 6 fuse boxes to check through in the book!

Now it is so frustrating having the right radio code but not being able to enter it because the radio will not come on. I didn't enter any more code numbers so I don't think I could have blocked it? Besides if it were blocked would it not still power up with a message to the effect that it was blocked?

Not having much luck so far!

Jon


joejag308

Member
Posts:838
Joined:Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am
Location:LEEDS

radio code installation

Postby joejag308 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:50 pm

Jon i have copied from my book the important bits re the radio code installation and sent you it by email........im not good with IT so try and work with the small print.........Joe


NewCat
Posts:20
Joined:Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Postby NewCat » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Very kind Joe, thank you.
I booked my car in with a local recommended specialist for a 70k service, upper tensioners and gearbox oil and filters and mentioned my other little issues to them. On the radio front they said in addition to the fuse in the boot there are around 3 more fuses to check. The manual extracts will clearly help too!

Jon


NewCat
Posts:20
Joined:Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Postby NewCat » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Yippee I now have a radio!!! : )

It turned out that the power issue related to the head-unit fuse in the nearside rear footwell fusebox.

Thank You to:

1) Joe for his guidance and radio manual scans.
2) Minster Jaguar, Preston for providing the correct radio code over the phone in exchange for just a Reg number.
3) Dorset Jaguar & Sportscars for suggesting I revisit the handbook and look for additional stereo fuses beside the one in the boot.

Jon



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests