X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

nichot747713

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 am
X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby nichot747713 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:31 pm

I have a 2002 X308 3.2l which has developed various problems. I can’t help thinking they may in some way be connected.

First and main problem was the gear selector became locked in park suddenly. I’ve sourced a secondhand selector and was advised to check the brake light circuit. The brake lights are working ok. However the replacement selector and solenoid made no difference at all. I have removed the locking plug and I’m currently driving using the manual override and frequently leave the car in neutral.

I have since noticed that the interior overhead lamps are not working - the buttons are illuminated but pressing them makes no difference - they’re not working.

Also, I have noticed that the steering column adjustment on the steering column is not working. It is moving fine when the memory button on the door is selected and is returning when I remove the key but the actual knob on the steering column is inoperative.

Perhaps less connected the screen washer is not working.

I am not getting any error messages up but not sure whether this is a X308 feature or not. Any advice please, where do I start looking? Do you know any Jag Eule Tricia so in Surrey, Berks?

User avatar
Andy P

Member
Posts:960
Joined:Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 am
Location:Plymouth,Devon,U.K. J.E.C.Member

Re: X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby Andy P » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:01 pm

Hi nichot747713,
Fuse #7 in the LH Heelboard rated 15 Amp provides power to the Shifter Lock and also to the Interior and Boot Lights.
Fuse #7 in the Engine Compartment Fuse box – Left-hand Side rated 30 Amp is for the powerwash.
There are two positions for the column "knob", sounds like you might have it set on auto.
Hope that helps.
Enjoy your X308 :D
Safe driving in 2023 :D
Take care.
Andy. :D
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia

nichot747713

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 am

Re: X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby nichot747713 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:25 am

Thanks Andywill get the fuses checked out. I am sure I have tried the column adjustment in both positions though. Many thanks. Rgds Trevor

User avatar
Andy P

Member
Posts:960
Joined:Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 am
Location:Plymouth,Devon,U.K. J.E.C.Member

Re: X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby Andy P » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:03 pm

Hi Trevor,
Regarding the column switch issue try a hard reset.
Which can sort many module issues like the one you are experiencing.
Make sure you have your radio code before you disconnect the battery
Here's some info on the hard reset if you have not done it before:
HARD RESET 1.PNG
You can disconnect both if you feel more comfortable, but its not necessary, it just takes more time. The reason I and others say disconnect the negative cable is for two reasons.
1) it is usually the closest and easiest to access.
2) there is usually little or nothing else attached to it.
The reason this works on the system is that they still have a complete circuit on the car so you are giving their positive terminal a path to ground to discharge them. And since the ignition provides a mechanical link to circuits that are isolated. You can/should also switch the key to the on position while the battery is unhooked and hard reboot again. Then shut off the key and go back and reconnect the battery.....and no a hard reboot will not clear codes on ODBII. While it MIGHT, turn off a check engine light(depending on WHAT, the stored codes are) they DO NOT go away.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck and take care.
Andy :D
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia

nichot747713

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 am

Re: X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby nichot747713 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:07 pm

Code: Select all

Hi Andy. Thanks so much for your diagnosis. Spot on, no7 rear pax box fuse had blown. When you advised I had asked myself - but what made it blow? And unfortunately that is the next and probably even more difficult question because the new fuses are also blowing as soon as I put them in - with the ignition off not even touching the selector. Rgds Trevor

User avatar
Andy P

Member
Posts:960
Joined:Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 am
Location:Plymouth,Devon,U.K. J.E.C.Member

Re: X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby Andy P » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:01 pm

Hi Trevor,
That is annoying.
I would disconnect the brake switch,which is just above the brake pedal and see if the fuse still blows.
Since that releases the solenoid and it is the easiest thing to do.
Lets hope that is the culprit.
Good luck.
Andy :D
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia

nichot747713

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 am

Re: X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby nichot747713 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:12 pm

Thanks Andy. Will try that. From everything working, I have also now noticed that another headlight has fAiled, which means both have failed and also I have no wing mirror adjustment. In addition to the Autolack, reading lights, steering adjustment, screen washer. Is this bad luck or can there be some common connection? Regards Trevor

nichot747713

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 am

Re: X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby nichot747713 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:13 am

The latest is that I have noticed that the wing mirror adjustment does not work. I works on the memory switch but not on the manual adjustment buttons. But it doesn’t end there now I have noticed the steering column switches and can move up and down on its own without any input. Initially this was very slight but now every time I use the indicators the steering wheel starts to jerk up and then down quite significantly and there is also often a continual clicking noise. I am happy to take this to Electrician but any advice or clues would be welcome I remain convinced that there must be some link or common cause all these things that don’t work which I can suck office again as the auto selector interior lights screen washer wing mirrors steering column adjustment and a continual blowing fuse on the auto selector. I don’t have a radio code so I haven’t disconnected the battery yet how easy is it to get a radio code. Appreciate all heip already recd. Rgds Trevor

nichot747713

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 am

Re: X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby nichot747713 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:15 am

Sorry about the strange typos - I dictated it. Rgds

JimMann

Member
Posts:631
Joined:Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Re: X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby JimMann » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:19 pm

Hi Trevor, If you don't have the radio code in your handbook - it's typically on a credit card sized card in the handbook - then you can often find a solution on the internet. Some of them need you to input your VIN, which is potentially a bit suspicious, but you can also find a "friendly" Jaguar dealership who can look it up on their system,
Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Banchory

nichot747713

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 am

Re: X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby nichot747713 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:23 pm

Just to thank contributors and advise the final outcome of my problem.

It seems crazy one single fault can cause so many other systems to fail. As I said previously I lost my gear, selector lock, interior, lighting, steering column, adjustment wing, mirror, adjustment screen, washer and probably a few other things all because the number seven rear fuse blew. Evidently there is a lot of Inter-connection through something called a BPU.. Not clever.

I eventually took the car to Surrey Jaguar at Redhill. I can’t recommend them highly enough they were extremely professional.. they are in strong demand. There was about a six week waiting list to take the car in.

Anyway, it transpires there is something called a secondary alarm in these cars. I don’t know where it is or any more about it but they say this alarm is a known problem.. they disconnected this secondary alarm, and since then I have had no problem or re-occurrence.

So thank you, everyone who contributed and thank you Surrey Jaguar at Redhill. And if your number seven fuse blows, try disconnecting your secondary alarm..

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: X308 AUTO SELECTOR LOCK

Postby andypryce » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:36 pm

Thanks for the update. Yes there is a device called the intelligent sounder (XK8 the same), fitted with internal rechargeable batteries which fail over the years, and can cause issues, especially battery drain..
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests